Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
No I said close... An that was what I was told by the people that built my harness based on my specs. But I may have been wrong... Dont know dont care. be buggys gone along with that engine.

I dont even have the 4.3 yet. But based on what I plan to do I project numbers close to that. Deck the heads (10:1 comp. ratio), bigger valves, roller rockers, .30 over, soem kind of aftermarket pistons, stock crank and rods, cam, injectors, headers, Fuel injection specialties PCM and harness.

Why go through all that work/money when a stock 5.3 has that power and room to grow in the future, or hell a 4.8 even. With the 4.8 or 5.3 having aluminum heads I cant see the weight difference being that huge.

just curious?

the diffs in question would be sweet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
not to thread jack, but im building a truggy and i just came across a fj80 rear with an e-locker for $75
other than the problem with it not disengaging(wich i wouldnt care anyway since it offroad only) is there any others flaws.
would stock inners hold up to 40s no problem?
and is there any mods that have to be done in order to run 5.29 R&P

thanx

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Thats an 800.00 axle, if you can get it for 75.00 jump on it or tell me where it is. Read around in the 80 section om mud. Just take into account the weight differance... its amazing what these axles will take :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I´m swapping now 80 series axles to my MJ

steering solution: modified knuckle with trail-gear steering arm and stock steering arms flipped to front and bended up.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have you put a wheel on it yet? Looks like the arms need to be flipped from side to side too. Details on the upper arm?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have you put a wheel on it yet? Looks like the arms need to be flipped from side to side too. Details on the upper arm?
yes, 4" backspace will fit on 15" wheel. i don´t want to flip them side to side, because there is now correct ackerman angle.

upper arm mount details...... just welding, milling and drilling :D

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
hmmm interesting deal. im sure now that i flipped my arms to the front my ackerman is all over the place

·
Registered
438 Posts
the axles in stock form are pretty tough so is the diff. i have a fj80 in the front of mine all stock
i've got a 2700 lbs buggy with 42". the full float rears are probably decent and can be upgraded.
if you plan on beating it real hard go ahead and get the chromo's
the hi pinion front is actually really strong
I heard you came across some spider nine's....Just let me know when your ready to unload that 80 front:smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
will do
you'll have to buy the rear as well.
the rear will be available in a month or so.
i'll keep ya updated

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I´m swapping now 80 series axles to my MJ

steering solution: modified knuckle with trail-gear steering arm and stock steering arms flipped to front and bended up.

What did it take to get your arms to bend? I tried to get mine to rotate to match the angle of the top arm with no luck. I had it glowing right behind the TRE hole on the lower arm and nothing budged with a 12" creasent wrench on it :confused: I just need to rotate the very end to get it to match angle with the top. Any help would be great as im at a fucking loss on these things and ready to just 5th stud mod the stock lower arms.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It took time to get them hot by acetylen/oxygen torch and i used 1.2 m long tube and my weight (100kg) in bench wise. :D

you need to get them glowingn befor it bends at all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i've seen the longfield inner axle break on a stock 80 fully built with 36" tsl sx's.
seemed like a flaw in forging, but who knows!

the front super set only comes as a 27 spline setup.

definatly replace or upgrade the drive flanges

a 50 ton ironworker will bend the arms no prob. just find a shop that has one.

the e-lock actuators are vulnerable(mostly the rear)

with a 3k lb rig you shouldn't have much of an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
here was my cheapo solution to the steering problem. 10" ram with full hydro.

seems to work well so far. I am running 39.5 TSLs on a 3500lbs truck and broke the stock shaft at the flange the 2nd time I had the truck out. Swapped in Longs and been beating on it for about a 6 months now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Toyota 7,5x17 (ET +30) wheel with those bend arms.......

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts