Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Love the 80!

I take it the front will get coil overs as well?
Are plans to keep the stock axles?

Do you plan to weigh it when you are done?
My 80 as it currently sits weighs 6700lbs. So I would be curious how much weight she lost.

Great shop! Mix of classics, muscle cars and Baja style runners.. I would be too distracted to work ; )

Keep it up it's looking saaaweet!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Love the 80!

I take it the front will get coil overs as well?
Are plans to keep the stock axles?

Do you plan to weigh it when you are done?
My 80 as it currently sits weighs 6700lbs. So I would be curious how much weight she lost.

Great shop! Mix of classics, muscle cars and Baja style runners.. I would be too distracted to work ; )

Keep it up it's looking saaaweet!
IIRC the front has an ARB and longfields. Rear is a detroit I think.

Thanks for the build thread Jesse.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Jesse, you are giving me alot of encouragment to pull at the sheetmetal off my girl, Lorena BobIt. I've chopped up many an 80 series, and one thing i know is that you learn things while doing it and do things differently the second, third time around... I wish I could send you my junk as your second 80 project...

This is pure sickness! I can't wait to see this thing rolling... this pumps me up!

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
As a note, I couldn't believe the lack of QC in those Centerline I.C.E. wheels when John showed me the voids.

Shock mounts turned out nice, I like the full plate wrap on the rear tube.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Wow.....do you think...other than the 100% cool factor on this that you saved anything over just dropping an 80 series drivetrain into a tube chassis?

I love it...glad you did it.....but wow.....that is a LOT of fabrication to work around what is left of the 80.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow.....do you think...other than the 100% cool factor on this that you saved anything over just dropping an 80 series drivetrain into a tube chassis?

I love it...glad you did it.....but wow.....that is a LOT of fabrication to work around what is left of the 80.
Saved anything? You mean in terms of time/money? Almost certainly not. Would have been a lot easier to just build a custom chassis from scratch.

2,831 Posts
Saved anything? You mean in terms of time/money? Almost certainly not. Would have been a lot easier to just build a custom chassis from scratch.
I would like to think there is a value in having a fully functional dash with heat, GPS built in and full factory gauges. Also saves on wiring and suspension design, steering, brakes ect. All that stuff really adds up in the end!

2,831 Posts
As a note, I couldn't believe the lack of QC in those Centerline I.C.E. wheels when John showed me the voids.

Shock mounts turned out nice, I like the full plate wrap on the rear tube.

I agree about the wheels. What looked like a solid design for a bead lock was not only disappointing in construction but also did not provide positive locking on the inner ring as there marketing had suggested. Pretty much a fail in our eyes.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I would like to think there is a value in having a fully functional dash with heat, GPS built in and full factory gauges. Also saves on wiring and suspension design, steering, brakes ect. All that stuff really adds up in the end!
For sure. It ALL ads up. Love the project. Don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts

Also maintains its current plates and registration here in Kommiefornia

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I love the build, but man those front fenders look like crap imo.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I love the build, but man those front fenders look like crap imo.
Fair enough. Kinda like 'em myself. Think they complement the lines of the rest of the chassis, especially the rear fenders. What do the rest of you guys think?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
After the forklift failed to show us how this thing was going to flex, we resorted to forced articulation. Chained the axle to the pass-side framerail and used a hi-lift to force this thing to twist a little bit further than it wanted to under it's own weight. Checked clearances, cut a little bit further into the firewall, and figured out where the vertical A-pillar support support tubes should go. Things are a bit tighter on the driver's-side, so some of those tubes are going to have to be asymmetrical and/or have bends in them.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,621 Posts
Fair enough. Kinda like 'em myself. Think they complement the lines of the rest of the chassis, especially the rear fenders. What do the rest of you guys think?
Ugly

21 - 40 of 239 Posts