Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
This is one of the best tech threads I have seen - thanks for sharing. Nice to see a totally different take on cage layout. Not a fan of the fenders though.:p

·
Registered
759 Posts
Pull one of the bolts out of the radius arms. It will flex much easier.
ditto

Wow, I guess instead of asking what people think, you shoulda just said "hold my beer whatch'iss" and told'em to stufu. I suppose I was blinded by the shear magnatude of the project to give a rats ass about the fender lines. I personally know this "sumbitchllwheel"

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
bad azz

That chassis is so nice. There is a simplistic beauty about such a well thought out, clean, triangulated chassis like this one. Although this buggy looks very good, it may benefit from some rolled tube up front around the fenders so the car isn't so boxy around the tires.

And the front radius arms on the 80 leave much to be desired. those arms are so stiff. They are the only thing keeping the 80 from its true trail potential. The fabulous rear of the 80 does all the work. The 3 link i did to the front of my 80 changed the truck completely. Convince the owner to 3 link it up front. You have the skills to work around the tierod that sits behind the front axle-no need to move the tie-rod to the front. just needs some creative bracketry

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
bad azz

That chassis is so nice. There is a simplistic beauty about such a well thought out, clean, triangulated chassis like this one. Although this buggy looks very good, it may benefit from some rolled tube up front around the fenders so the car isn't so boxy around the tires.

And the front radius arms on the 80 leave much to be desired. those arms are so stiff. They are the only thing keeping the 80 from its true trail potential. The fabulous rear of the 80 does all the work. The 3 link i did to the front of my 80 changed the truck completely. Convince the owner to 3 link it up front. You have the skills to work around the tierod that sits behind the front axle-no need to move the tie-rod to the front. just needs some creative bracketry
Thanks. And that's exactly what I've been thinking about the front fenders/wheelwells. Reading up on the radius arms right now. Looks like there might be just enough room to fit an upper link on the pass-side if we re-make the pass-side motor-mount. maybe.

·
Read Only
1,334 Posts
I dont post much but I have to tell you how cool that is, if I ever wiped my rig out I have always seriously thought about a firewall buggy. For a recreational wheeler who will never be able to step up to racing, a full buggy really isnt practical. Seriously cool build.

Kevin, PacFab looks incredible, thats an awesome place.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
not a fan of the front fenders either...do they serve a purpose? or just following the lines?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Looks like there might be just enough room to fit an upper link on the pass-side if we re-make the pass-side motor-mount. maybe.
i didnt remake the engine mount. put the 3rd upper link on the inside of the pass side frame rail. but i also left the lower link mounts hanging below the frame. would be better to pull the lower frame link mounts up as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just posted this in that thread where I was asking questions about the front suspension:

Thanks again for all the help. Took some time this morning to read through the links posted, and some other stuff I found by searching. Going to pull one of the bolts to make sure we have clearance everywhere we need it, and will talk to the owner about upgrading to a 3-link somewhere down the line. Think we're going to have to remove/rebuild the pass-side motor-mount because we're cycling the front axle up to the point where it's almost touching the bottom of the framerails on full compression. Doesn't leave much room for anything!
Removed the stock bumpstops and cut the stock bumpstop mounts off the frame. Allows the front axle to cycle to within 1/2" of the bottom of the framerails. Haven't looked at that area too closely, but squeezing a link in there might be difficult/impossible without at least modifying the motor mount. At least on this rig.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
you really are on new ground here with this build.

Several have 3 linked the front of the 80 chassis including myself. So thats nothing new. The difference here is that we all 3 linked the truck and didnt' allow for more uptravel. In fact all the 3 link jobs on IH8mud LIMITED up travel to some extent. this is the first time someone has tried get more uptravel. I think you are going to need to move the tierod to the front of the axle to get the uptarvel and flex you want..

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Cool build guys.

Kevin... If you havn't got one yet, you can borrow my roller any time you want!

I hope you do cuz those fenders are fugly! :flipoff2:
Thanks Toby. We do have a roller here at the shop. Just focusing on other parts of the build. With most of the perimeter tubework done now, want to move on to the suspension and seat mounts. Will go back and finish-up the fenders and a few other things after we make some more progress.

you really are on new ground here with this build.

Several have 3 linked the front of the 80 chassis including myself. So thats nothing new. The difference here is that we all 3 linked the truck and didnt' allow for more uptravel. In fact all the 3 link jobs on IH8mud LIMITED up travel to some extent. this is the first time someone has tried get more uptravel. I think you are going to need to move the tierod to the front of the axle to get the uptarvel and flex you want..
Just took a few pics to show you what we're working with. 3-link would definitely be possible if we re-make the pass-side motor-mount. That's really the only thing that's in the way, but can't see how we'd be able to fit any type of link up in that area without re-working the motor-mount. And at that point, we'd just convert to straight lower links, so the tie-rod shouldn't be much of an issue. This is all gonna have to be done somewhere down the road, just like thinking about this kind of stuff now in case there's anything we can to do make future modifications better/easier/cheaper.

41 - 60 of 239 Posts