Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have my flame suit on.. :D

My buddy has a FZJ80 front housing, I was wondering if anyone had taken the balls out of the 80 housing and installed mini knuckle balls? The reason I ask this is b/s I already have a built mini axle but it lacks width. I don't have to deal with OTT on machining the 80 knuckles and for them to create high steer arms as well as buying more longfield axles. I can get this housing for cheap and was wondering if anyone had attempted this before.

I know the balls more than likely will be different diameters and a spacer will need to be made.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
come back Tuesday...

OK, legit answer...I don't know if anyone has done it. I had considered it. But why not sell what you got and use Bobby's 300M birf's inside the axle. As far as the steering goes, are you running leafs? Is that the reason behind doing this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Running leafs at the moment but have nothing againist going to links.

I already have a built mini axle with ARP hardware, E-Locker, 30 Spline Longs, Hub gears, Cryo'd 5.29s, and other mini crap. The reason behind this is I can find the housing for cheap and I already have other stock 85 housing that I can rob the mini balls from.

The other option was Diamond and running custom 300M inners any way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been done before, I think Ive seen it on here. It wouldnt be that much harder than rotating the knuckles.
Believe me I search and I found nothing that had been completed. It had been talked about but it was back in '03.

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
I'd work out the issues with the steering. It can be done. The stock fj birfs seem stronger than the supermini birfs. I say this because I've only broken one and it clicked for a month before it let go. The inner axles are bigger too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
slee offraod is building new steering arms for the 80 axels. we are running a set on the taco in our group. let me see if i can find a pic of it. also the yellow shot bus has a set on it and just ran the ultimate adventure and they held up great....with full hydro

later tj

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here are some pictures of the 80 series high steer arms
we made. These use the two factory upper trunion bearing holes and a sheer style "bung" is welded into the ABS whole for a third bolt (no machining necessary). They are made with a whole for a 5/8" bolt that lines up with the original steering arm on the bottom of the knuckle for a double sheer design. They can be used with our without the lower arms although we have not tested them without the lower arms. We have a few sets in stock on the shelf.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98601

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have never actually tried to use leaf springs with the steering arms.

The arms come straight/flat off the top of the knuckles. The 80 knuckles are naturally taller than the mini ones so the arm will be taller although it does not have the "step up" like the mini arms. Our 80 arms are also longer than a mini arm to line up with the lower arm. If you made it shorter and drilled the hole further back you would have more clearance. I guess it would also depend on how tall/arched your springs were.

Just eye balling my diamond mini truck and the full hydro 80 axle we have here - It looks like it would work by shortening the arms.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I've been thinking for a while about having a diamond housing made with a tacoma chunk, or an FJ80 rear diff, and 80 stuff from the knuckle out. Double sheer the steering arms, and figure out how to get 35 spline stuff in there, and you'd have an extremely strong front axle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you might wanna try to get in touch with this guy. he modded a bunch of housings. not sure if its what you are lookin for

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=15409.0
That is nothing more than a mini axle w/ a hi pinion diff and talk about 100 brakes on a mini axle.

Update:
I will be picking up the housing this weekend and start cutting the balls off both. I guess I'll be a first and I have no problem with that. I'll take plenty of notes and pics.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I though that the 80 housing was a larger diameter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've been thinking for a while about having a diamond housing made with a tacoma chunk, or an FJ80 rear diff, and 80 stuff from the knuckle out. Double sheer the steering arms, and figure out how to get 35 spline stuff in there, and you'd have an extremely strong front axle.
I agree! We should have our Diamond housing from Brian this week. 80 Series outers with an 80 Series 9.5" rear E-locker center section. It's going under a 98 100 Series L/C. Might be this years UA vehicle!

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
I agree! We should have our Diamond housing from Brian this week. 80 Series outers with an 80 Series 9.5" rear E-locker center section. It's going under a 98 100 Series L/C. Might be this years UA vehicle!
Under the FRONT of a 100 series? :eek: Must have pics, please...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't have many pics yet. Just a 100 series with all the front suspension and steering cut off, new engine mounts made (they were part of the IFS brackets) and the frame plated. We need the housing from Brian to go any further.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have many pics yet. Just a 100 series with all the front suspension and steering cut off, new engine mounts made (they were part of the IFS brackets) and the frame plated. We need the housing from Brian to go any further.
That is awesome.. I can't wait to see this. Hope you don't want any 5.29s. I got the last set in the country for my rear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts