Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my FJ80 front end today for a total of $680 and change. :) It was in REALLY good condition. The bearings and everything look like they even have fresh grease!

Anyway, my question is about the inner axles. I have heard they are 24 spline. Is anyone having problems with these? I also compared the birfs to the birfs in my current minitruck axle, and these FJ80 ones are HUGE comparativly speaking.

What size tires are people running on these stock axles successfully. I'm a very conservative driver, and light on the throttle, but I do have 39.5's.

Are PIG's inners a HUGE upgrade?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Where they go into the diff they are identical to the 40's and 60's which we are breaking, sometimes there but most of the time at the snap ring at the birf...I think the 80's are larger at this section than the others. I have wheeled with 80's, never seen an inner front broke, but if anyone has, it would be Christo .....
Butch

·
Registered
739 Posts
texican said:
Where they go into the diff they are identical to the 40's and 60's which we are breaking, sometimes there but most of the time at the snap ring at the birf...I think the 80's are larger at this section than the others.
Yup, and no snapring or groove either. The axle has a thick section at the ends of the splines that keep it from sliding into the birf.

As for the 24 splines, I dunno. The splines are coarse and the diameter at the splines is 1.25". How does that compare to a 40, 60 or mini-truck?

--Dan

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
the diff end of an 80 inner is 30 spline, same as a mini truck.

and I know the outer splines on the birf (that go into the drive flange) are the same as a mini truck. Guys use FJ80 drive flanges on minis all the time.

But I don't know what the birf end of the FJ80 inner axle is...

Anything PIG sells is a huge improvement IMHO. :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PIG is Dave from Polyperformance.com

So the $250 for PIG's inners is definitly the way to upgrade. Now to find birf upgrades. :) Anyone?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Few off road trial competition guys here in finland drive quite similar LJ70s with hdj80 axles. I think that other one of them broke six hdj80 stock birfields this year with 37" mtrs and boggers. Other guy is driving 39,5" tsl front / boggers rear and i dont remeber that he ever broke any birfs. So strenght is quite hard to measure because you can break everything up with extreme driving style. :(

Longfields, warn shafts, ctm u-joints they all snap like wood in scandinavian terrain :skull:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
O. K. , so is it possible to use a fj40 axle housing , cut the balls off the ends and put 80 series balls , knuckles and birfs on. I want to do this for my 40 but it seems as though the inners from the 80 would have to be resplined and shortened , any one think this is worth it.I realize there are swteering and brake issues as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
McSoo said:
PIG is Dave from Polyperformance.com

So the $250 for PIG's inners is definitly the way to upgrade. Now to find birf upgrades. :) Anyone?

So, does that mean he has FJ80 axles ready? They've been a "few weeks out" forever it seems.

--Dan

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well crap.. I assumed they were in stock! I'll get on Ryan, and tell him to get them ready.. haha The FJ80 balls are WAY bigger than the minitruck balls.. I wonder if they are even close?
Propane, did you notice the amount of space there is when putting the 80 birf into the bell? There is PLENTY of room for an even BIGGER birf...hmm... :)

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Saw this thread so here the info.............. FJ 80 inners are in production now..... 4340, neck down design with polished finnish....... I dont have final pricing yet but will be a little more than the mini truck and 40 series versions due to the lower production numbers......

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Well, after receiving our first run of axles and refusing them due to a major manufacturing error...... The axles had to be remanufactured and are now in stock and shipping.... Mcsoo, yours shipped today... I'll get a post going in the vendors fourm tomarrow. Keep an eye out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts