Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my '91 TLC that I'm putting Volvo portals under.
http://tired-iron.mounet.com/Grace4X4/GRBTLC/default.htm

Fujitsu Tablet PC with Delorme GPS (TOPO USA)

Used the 3rd row seat brackets for a quick release for stowage box.

ARB and MileMarker 12,500 winch.

Portals Axles from a Volvo C303, vacuum activated lockers, 6:1 gearing.

The portal gives 5" of lift in itself.

These are the valves from the Volvo that operate the lockers.

38.5X11X16 TSL Boggers
Will start on dropping the axles and cutting off the brackets Tuesday.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just looked through the pictures. SO COOL!!! What are the different specs you are going for with it? Can't wait to see the buildup!!!:)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like the build idea!
But is that the best you can come up with for a car pc ?
you have a double din stereo opening.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The tires are 38.5X11X16 TSL Boggers, mostly trails here in East Tennessee and a trip to Moab in May. The portals have 6:1 gearing with vacuum operated lockers. The tablet PC works great with the Delorme GPS and it fits good with great visibility. The double din has a Pioneer system in it.

G.R.Baker

·
Registered
455 Posts
What are you going to do for brakes? I've been raceing with Ken Blume (Go-2-Guy) for years now, and stopping was never our strong point. We tryed alot of tricks to improved the drum brakes , but it was always marginal.
Good luck, chuck

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a complete Volvo and was pleased with the brakes on it, they will be fine for my application.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
bustanutley said:
holy crap that is a nice 80 to smash up :eek:

GIT IT :D
That is what I say to 40 guys. There are lots of nice 80s around 40s are scarce yet lots of people trash them.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Rock King said:
What are you going to do for brakes? I've been raceing with Ken Blume (Go-2-Guy) for years now, and stopping was never our strong point. We tryed alot of tricks to improved the drum brakes , but it was always marginal.
Good luck, chuck
Its all in the master cylinder sizing....smaller is better.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
swapping portal axles under any rig is no small project. Even starting out with solid axles and link suspension is not much help. At least the Volvo pinions are normal unlike Mog 404's. Good luck with the project--especially with the part where you are left to ponder the 1000 pounds of crap you just torched off of a perfectly good Cruiser!:flipoff2:
Are you married? If you are, the likelihood that you are after this undertaking is not good. It took me a year to swap in my Mogs--and that was with time off here and there. (that is why I am still married)
What suspension do you plan to run?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4Mogger said:
swapping portal axles under any rig is no small project. Even starting out with solid axles and link suspension is not much help. At least the Volvo pinions are normal unlike Mog 404's. Good luck with the project--especially with the part where you are left to ponder the 1000 pounds of crap you just torched off of a perfectly good Cruiser!:flipoff2:
Are you married? If you are, the likelihood that you are after this undertaking is not good. It took me a year to swap in my Mogs--and that was with time off here and there. (that is why I am still married)
What suspension do you plan to run?
I restore military vehicles (Humvees, Tanks, APCs, and such) so I've been fabricating for years, I hope to have it finished within the next week. I usually plan for weeks before I make the first cut so the actual work goes a lot faster. I am very blessed to be married to a very understanding woman that never even looks out in the garage or at my checkbook. I will wait and see how my clearance is before I decide on springs, I want to keep the suspension as close to stock as possible (other than new springs and shocks).

G.R.Baker

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
TiredIronGRB said:
I restore military vehicles (Humvees, Tanks, APCs, and such) so I've been fabricating for years, I hope to have it finished within the next week. I usually plan for weeks before I make the first cut so the actual work goes a lot faster. I am very blessed to be married to a very understanding woman that never even looks out in the garage or at my checkbook. I will wait and see how my clearance is before I decide on springs, I want to keep the suspension as close to stock as possible (other than new springs and shocks).

G.R.Baker
You haven't even fired up the torch and you expect to be finished within the next week?!?!:eek: You are removing conventional axles and expect to just bolt up portal axles as if they were the same? The laws of physics may not agree with your schedule and even if you make your deadline, breakage will follow soon and sure. Not to question your building/fabbing ability but do you think you have thought out the leverage that 5" tall portals can place on suspension components?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Kick ass...I'll be watching away!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW 4Mogger, that is one awesome rig. Your attention to detail is fanatical, it should definately be a bulletproof rig. I can only imagine how much you've invested in it. Mine will be no where near that extreme, just a little Tennesse ridge runner.. or should I say ridge cruiser. Here's my web page if you guys want to check out some of the military vehicles I've built.
http://tired-iron.mounet.com

1 - 20 of 297 Posts