Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO THE TIME HAS COME TO GEAR MY LITTLE YJ AND I WANT TO HEAR WHAT GEARS YOU HAVE AND WHAT TIRE SIZE AND HOW IT PERFORMS ON THE ROAD AND THE ROCKS..

My YJ is is a 95 4 cylinder, I am running 33 10.5 15 BFG MT's on it. I am not really thinking about 35's at this point. what i want to know is will 4:56's be enough to us 5th gear again or should I go for the 4:88's and yes it has a dana 35 c-clip and i am not worried about it. Also I drive the jeep everyday on the highway and I am wondering if the 4:88's will offset me too much for the highway, but they are probably perfect offroad. anyway FLAME ON :jester: and thanks for any information and opinions you might want to share.

·
Registered
306 Posts
go with 4.88's with your 4 banger - you will be able to use 5th - hills are still going to kill you though - and you live in CO - nonetheless - 4.88's

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 5.38's with 36's in an 89 YJ with a 2.5 and it drives great down the road and is low enough to run rocks if you know how to slip a clutch here adn there and let it bog way down...... so bassically it is doable but not ideal.... I really need Tcase gears

·
Registered
775 Posts
Do the 488 gears, you will be happier. Plus it will pull fine on the trail and on the highway..

·
Registered
527 Posts
I did 4.88s with 33s and now I have 35s and I am still happy with the performance. I would go with 4.88s for sure. It won't fly on the highway but that doesn't really matter. and you'll wanna go bigger :flipoff2: at least i know i always want to but still have too much jeep stuff........still on my jeep :( ........... anyway 4.88s hands down

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tuesday

Daltongp said:
You will have to come back Tuesday and ask this again.
so what happens on tuesday?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
site

Bone Down said:
Thanks for this link it showed me that 4:56's would take me right back to stock pretty much and that with 4:88's I am only turning 180 extra rpms to do 65MPH in 5 th 2745. right now I am in 4 th doing that to do 65 MPH. I ll probably play with that link a little today. but i was thinking, get the 4:56 for the road inprovement and some offroad improvement and then a 4:1 in my t-case for "more better" offroad performance?

·
Registered
174 Posts
go 4:88's especially if you have a standard tranny, with the extra weight of 35"s it will help..... I have ran 33"s and 35"s on 4:88's, I can use 5th with the 35"s on the highway, off road with my 36"s and a 4:1 it has a great crawl ratio...... then start saving up for a diff upgrade since that pinion on the 4:88's wont stand up to a lot of torque (just ask for carnage pics) that being said, the first set lasted me 3 years of daily driving and moderate wheeling

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am only running 33's right now, and I will not be going up to 35's until after grad school whick could be 3 years or so.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You didn't say how you're going to use your ride. If you're one of those who goes around looking for rocks to break something on, then 4.88s won't be enough. Let's say you are sometimes normal though. So if you're going to spend that much money, go with the 4.88s. You'll still be okay on the highway. You just may not get as many speeding tickets.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just went through the samething. I have 4.88's and HAD 33's and it was perfect. But I upgraded to 36's and now it doesn't do bad, but hills kill me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
justachillin2 and Chato, have you guys run 488's with the 4-banger? my only real thing about the 488's is will the jeep be screaming to go down the highway on 33's at 65MPH as long as it is under 3000 rpm I am not worried.

thanks

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a 90 YJ with 33's and 4.88's. Do it, you will not regret it. Besides, the little 4-banger loves 3200-3400 RPM, that is where I get my best gas mileage, and I have 140,000 on it. 4.88's really wake up that little motor. Whole new world on the highway, and I can cruise at 75-80 at only like 3600 rpm. my .02

oh, and Tuesday is "Dumbfack Tuesday".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so what kind of mileage do you get out of it? you got me curious now. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts