Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back is already done. With the exception of the oversteer, I am happy with the rear.

Here is a pic of the rear:

The upper tri-link was installed, but I do not have pictures of it.

I just placed the front axle. With some lower arms that I have and using the stock front lower frame mounts, I am at 116" wheel base.

Here is a screenshot of my calcs (you have to manually enter the website - damn page blockers!!!!!!!!!):
www (add the dot) viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/medium/4_link_calcs.JPG

You can't read the number real good, but here is they are:
Front Geometry Summary:
Anti-Squat 17 %
Roll Center Height 26 in
Roll Axis Angle 14.88 degrees (Roll Oversteer)
Instant Center X-Axis -88 in
Instant Center Z-Axis -8 in

Rear Geometry Summary:
Anti-Squat 84 %
Roll Center Height 28 in
Roll Axis Angle 4.18 degrees (Roll Oversteer)
Instant Center X-Axis 93 in
Instant Center Z-Axis 41 in

Go ahead....flame away. My real question is, do you think 116" wheel base with 42" tires is to long? I will have about 26" ground clearance under the t-case skid.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think that looks great. how long is too long really depends where you wheel. In Moab 116 is probably too short!

If you can do front burns even the tightest trails will be managable.

The front roll axis is kind of steep at almost 15 degrees, but since it is the front it probably will work good.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Are you planning to brace that link mount? If not, get ready for major carnage if something lets loose or bolts shear. It gets ugly and expensive real quick if that happens, seen it a couple times.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I used the stock mounts, they would definately be braced. When I put it together, it just looked right although I am leary about the dragging the tcase skid and getting high centered. If i was to change, I would shorten it about 6 inches.

Just wanted to get some opinions. I am going to install the radiator and mock the steering box to see what will get in the way.

Front burns will not be a problem, I got the Atlas!!

Thank for the input!! Anyone else?

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
What's the wall thickness on that front crossmember? I think anything under .375 wall is going to eventually fail due to fatigue, look for it to start tearing around the link mounts due to flexing. A nice gusset that runs over the top of the link mounts and towards the frame would help spread the load along the face of the crossmember.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I think you're just about right. Remember, 5 years ago, 100 was cool. Then three years ago, 105 was cool. Last year, 110 was cool, and I think the trend is still moving upwards.

Your wheelbase sounds good. I like long. :D I'm 119".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks great, do you have any other pics of the rear truss, and the rear link to axle connection? What kind of joints are you using. I plan to use radius arm bushings at the axle and regular leaf spring bushings at the frame. I know its opposite of what everyone else is doing, but I've just got to be different.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The crossmember is not that thick as it stands. Once I get the skid plat cut, it will be braced and gusseted. I will put 1/4" angle on one side (opposite the links) to bolt the skid plate to and I will be adding gussets out of 1/4" plate on top and bottom of the link mounts. I think that should hold it well enough. I wanted to get the axles plaecd first before I make it so I make sure that eveythign clears. The skid that is in it now is the stock one that I have cut holes, etc to fit the passenger side drop Atlas.

I forget the joints that I used, but I found them here. Summit Machine shop or something like that makes them.

I will take more pictures of the arms, braces, axles, etc this weekend and get my wife to upload them to her site.

I spent 2 hours bolting up one wheel tonight. These double bead locks are a BIATCH!!!!

Thanks for the feedback...keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a little further. Mounted up some of my tires!!

Before Powdercoat:

Next to the "tow" truck - 37" swampers!!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Looks good.As for the wheelbase.I think it is too long.But that depends on your wheeling area.Here in western Co. I find myself doing 3 point turns on some trails and I'm at 98".Yes,depending on the trails you do in Moab it is short.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was going to 106, but I might stay at 116. If it will ever get under 100F here in houston, I would go outside and work on it. MY wife is getting upset that I have been assembling the wheels in the living room!!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Running Fordyce and the Rubicon with 115" wheelbase on 35s is great 98% of the time. I'm going to be shortening mine to 110 soon, though you sit taller on bigger tires, so 116 may be a real good length. from what i've seen of Texas wheeling, it doesn't seem to have the real sharp turns in tight rocks like JV or AZ, so I'd leave it long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts