·
Registered
788 Posts
Check with CJ Lagos. He did one in his.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
When I did mine I gutted the tub and started from scratch. If you want to retain the factory heater/ac stuff/steering colum, your going to need to build the dash out a good bit, It's doable but I wouldn't use a flat panel...

CJ

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CJ Lagos said:
When I did mine I gutted the tub and started from scratch. If you want to retain the factory heater/ac stuff/steering colum, your going to need to build the dash out a good bit, It's doable but I wouldn't use a flat panel...

CJ
got any good pictuers of yours? did you keep your heater, etc.?

·
Registered
554 Posts
badassjeepguy said:

lol yeahhh :rolleyes: im trying to make mine like a cj.... :rolleyes: lol
Dude , the only thing you need is the hood and grill. the rest is the same old shit. Had a TJ in 96. They are not the holy grail of wheelin. I just can't get over all the hipe for all these years. Hell the next one might be a yota thing. Its all in the little wheel in front of your face. Dont mind me I am just a guy who wheels a 4 door for now.:D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I swaped a '94 YJ tub with windshield frame and tailgate onto my CJ, and kept my CJ dash in tacked. My father came up with an injenoius solution for the defroster.

We cut the dash. It was almost sinfull, until the finished product.

The stock CJ dash pad covers the modifications to the dash, and the defrost works FANTASTIC. Out performes the CJ defroster and heater system, because I kept the YJ heating system that came in the tub.

We marked the YJ defrost outputs (the horizontal ducts which mounted to the old YJ dashboard) on the CJ dash as an outline of where the hot air would come through the dash. Then, we only cut along three of the sides, the top and right and left. This allowed us to bend the metel inwards towards the cabin, for the hot air to come through the dashboard. However, we didn't bend it uniformly, basically, the metal is bent less in the middle, and out more towards the sides, allowing for greator air pressure to flow out diagonally from the slits (cut area of the dash) towards the driver's viewing area on the windshield, and the passengers as well.

It defrosts evenly, and when the stock dash is mounted ,you cannot even tell that the dash was cut.

I have some weak pictures i can e-mail, but until my Red Star comes in the mail, I cannot post them.

I'm really quite impressed with the result, and owe the whole idea to my father. He did a great job.

Oh yeah, I HATE the look of YJ dashboards, that's why I just couldn't swap and keep it stock. :D

Wayne

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I just signed up with Monty's Pics, so here goes.

Here's what the dash looks like.

Here's another angle, just so that you can see sort of see more of the profile of the bends in the dash material.

Sorry about the size of the pics.

Wayne :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Weasel said:

Yeah sure you did. That must have been some TJ considering they did start making them till 97. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Shows what you know. They were out in May of 96. They were sold as a 97. It was a good rig, but remember were the frnt came from-XJ ''85''. The rear from the Grand "95''. Just keep an eye on the control arm brackets on the frame. they like to tear off the frame.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
XJMJ said:
Shows what you know. They were out in May of 96. They were sold as a 97. It was a good rig, but remember were the frnt came from-XJ ''85''. The rear from the Grand "95''. Just keep an eye on the control arm brackets on the frame. they like to tear off the frame.
That's how most vehicels are sold. They come out a few months beofre their year model. What I meant was there was no 96 year wrangler.

And I don't think they took a direct swap from the XJ and ZJ to make a TJ. And that would have been a 84 XJ if they did.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You got me on the years. It was the concept of 4 link coil that inspired the TJ. BTW maybe we should start a new thread called ''shit talking jeep guy's'':flipoff2: This is going way off the flat dash thing. Don't get bent, soon it will be my turn to get a thrashin on this board.;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.