Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the guys I ride with are riding flats. I tried it once and didn't like it.
After riding Downeyville last weekend I feel that flats would be safer and faster:)
What are you guys riding?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Original, red Ritchey clipless. They're big enough that if you aren't clipped in, you can still ride. :D

And by original, I mean-- I've had them since '95. :D

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I started on a set of Mallets from Crank Brothers. Liked then for XC, but after my first real DH trip I started using flats for all my riding. Am I as efficient? Probably not, but I've learned to bunnyhop without cheating with the clips. I think the flats make me a stronger rider.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree when I am riding some all MTN tuff I use clips for the long uphills but when I am doing a bit of FR or DH I use my Flats. I am running CrankBro's 50/50's right now and I love them!!! shoes also make a huge difference in how well your flats work also. I am using 5Ten Impacts so far they are the best riding shoe I have ever found. once you place your foot you better be damn sure you want it to stay there. they are super sticky.

D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i've rode clips for 10 years and I feel it's the only way I can ride, I used to have ritcheys, then upgraded to shimanos which I rode forever. I would even ride them in the super technical rocky terrain. the best thing about it is that it makes you a better rider. You have to stay committed. Once I bought my new bike I rode shimanos, but just switched to the crank brothers mallet pedal. I think it's cool that I have platforms there, but I never use them, even at downieville. I just love being commited and staying with my bike. I think the nice thing about the half/clip/half platform is that if you don't get clipped in right away you can just keep going.

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason why I'm thinking platforms is the big drops and jumps. I have no problem being committed. When it's time to bail, you're kind of fawked...
I do like to climb with clips.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I only rode platforms for the longest time (7 years) but my attitude is changing and I feel the ride to the top is still part of the ride so I just acquired a set of Crank bros mallets hoping they will help me become more efficient at spinning my fat ass and tank of a bike (I ride a Banshee Scream) to the top.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Shimano makes some half and halfs too. I run them on my MTB.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I run these on my mtn bike. I usually wear my shoes with cleats on them but still have the ability to wear normal shoes or just ride without clipping in.

Prior to these I was running Onza polymer based pedals.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I rode clipless since the early 90's and last year i started riding flats and it makes the world of a difference. I run 5 10 shoes and cb 50/50 xx pedals I have tried different combos and nothing sticks as good as that . I tried regular skate shoes and hiking shoes and they dont work as good and pedals with set screws for pins work alot better andn the other styles. I dont really like the CB 50/50 cause i keep losing the plates while riding even with red loctite holding the screws in.

·
1,875 Posts
Ive been riding clips for probably almost 8 years now, and its second nature for me. I ride TIME ATAC Z pedals and love them.

Ive ran alot fo diff pedals and these ar my favorite. Had the mallets before and just could never get into them very easy, may have been a shoe sole interferance though. I was really close to trying out the AtomLabs quickstep but decided to stick with my Zs.

All clipless pedals are far from ideal with normal shoes because for a clipless shoe to work on them, there can be no interferance with the surrounding part, and most clip parts (the metal mars that hold you in) aren't great for traction, but help if you dont get clipped in as said before.

When doing drops/big jumps/etc for the first time, i get nervous wearing clips, but I dont think theyd cause a worse crash than normal honestly. I like the added control you get from having a shoe that will not come off the pedal in a rough tech section. Im used to riding clips and only ride flats on my dirtjumper. For some races i will switch to flats for the sole reason that i cannot get back into my clips before the next turn/obstacle/whatever

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have shimano SPD shoes with recessed cleats and shimano 520 pedals. i like the fact that i dont feel like im wearing clown shoes when im not riding and have them on. plus with them being recessed if i dont want them clipped in i just flip the pedal over and its like having regular shoes and flats.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I haven't been riding a ton but I rode platforms the whole time so far. I don't do any big jumps or drops so I recently picked up a pair of spd pedals and shoes. I've only ridden them once on a trail but I liked the added efficency and stability.
That said if I were going to be doing big drops and jumps I'd put the platforms back on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I rode clipless since the early 90's and last year i started riding flats and it makes the world of a difference. I run 5 10 shoes and cb 50/50 xx pedals I have tried different combos and nothing sticks as good as that . I tried regular skate shoes and hiking shoes and they dont work as good and pedals with set screws for pins work alot better andn the other styles. I dont really like the CB 50/50 cause i keep losing the plates while riding even with red loctite holding the screws in.

sounds like the same setup I ride. I love my 50/50's but I have the pin kit it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
In the 15 years that I have been riding, i have always ridden clipless (not flats) but never understood why they were called clipless pedals if you 'clipped' into them??

Anyway, had several sets of Onza's that lasted probably 10 years total and then went to Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. Never had trouble out of either one. I ride all cross country, probably 10-15 miles per ride, no freeride or DH, we dont have the terrain for it in N. GA..

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
In the 15 years that I have been riding, i have always ridden clipless (not flats) but never understood why they were called clipless pedals if you 'clipped' into them??

Anyway, had several sets of Onza's that lasted probably 10 years total and then went to Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. Never had trouble out of either one. I ride all cross country, probably 10-15 miles per ride, no freeride or DH, we dont have the terrain for it in N. GA..

because the clip pedals are the ones with toe clips or baskets on the front of the pedal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts