Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pitman arm with no drop for my FJ60 box (same spline as the IFS box). Anyone know of any stock or aftermarket pitmans that are flat or have very little drop?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Holy non-newbie that can't search batman:eek:!

Seriously dude there are tons of people on this board, including me, that need a flatter pitman arm. This topic pops up monthly.
flat pitman search that took 3 seconds

4RnrRick's post is definatley worth reading, and I think it was Skulltoy who built his own. For what it's worth I got a prompt responce to an email I sent to Wagoneer Machine Service today, they said if I send them an old pitman they should be able to build one to my specs for $125.

Happy Reading
Travis

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...being a zuk guy I didn't know this was such a dumb a$$ question. What I can't figure out is why all of these MFG's are still wondering if there is enough demand after reading all of those threads....SOMEBODY MAKE THESE!!!!

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Heres the post to read:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101077&highlight=flat+pitman

As I said in that post:

UPDATE:

A couple of different arms have been designed in CAD. Sky-Manufacturing is now trying to find a vendor for cutting tapered splines so prototypes can be made, tested and revised (if needed). Once those steps are done then it may become a product for sale. Currently there is no estimations on cost but it is a concern. That is all I can really say about it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I read on the BC4x4 board that OTT is currently setting up jigs to start making a flat pitman arm as well..

No word on when it will be out yet though..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I just talked to Jim at Inchworm, who told me that the boys at OTT might be willing to make a batch of flat Toyota IFS arms if they can get 6 to 8 pre-paid orders. Who has cash to back up the wants :D ? If I can get five guys to whine along with me we can make some beautiful music :crybaby:

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I need a smaller drop (not flat) with an fj80 insert. If that will work for you guys, I am in with a pre-order. I am waiting to hear back from spidertrax to see what they would charge to do their setup with a tapered end.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What kind of pricing are we looking at for OTT? I really need a flat pitman and have the cash to back it up but... when I called OTT about a flat pitman I was less then impressed with their attitude and I've heard horror sorries about their delivery times. I'm thinking I might give WMS a try. But if the price is right and I can really get one in a reasonable amount of time I'll consider OTT.

Travis

·
Registered
398 Posts
Overkiller said:
What kind of pricing are we looking at for OTT? I really need a flat pitman and have the cash to back it up but... when I called OTT about a flat pitman I was less then impressed with their attitude and I've heard horror sorries about their delivery times. I'm thinking I might give WMS a try. But if the price is right and I can really get one in a reasonable amount of time I'll consider OTT.

Travis
Well its the shipping is not OTT's fault really, it's the cross border issues. Plus, due to the circumstances of late, I'd imagine the US Customs are much more stickier than Canadian customs. All Canadian customs seem to want is the tax revenue, I don't really think theres much of a security issue when shipping from US to Can.

I'm in BC Canada myself, and when I order stuff from the US (which is quite often, especially from CA), I always ship it to a reciever in WA. There are lots of border shipping companies that will recieve and hold my package. That way, shipping is qwik and I just jump across the border, pick it up, and deal with cross border issues myself. It works for us Cad's because the majority of big Canadian cities are located close the US border.

You might want to ask OTT if they'll arrange a package deal where they can get someone to cross the US border, deal with customs and ship FROM to the US to you, that way it's just another US-to-US shipment. Carriers like UPS will cross the border for you, but they'll charge a brokerage fee.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Save yourself the $135.00 and build it yourself. I spent some time out in the shop today and built one kinda like the one Spidertrax will build. Here's a rough sketch of what I built. I cut the big hole a little bigger than the spline part of the factory pitman so I can role it back a little. The way my box is mounted if my arm was flat the end would hit the frame. I put the spline part in and roled it back about 15 deg. That gives me about 1" between the pitman and the frame. After I put my bolt in for the 3/4" heim I will have 5/8" between the frame and bolt head. I'm using 3/4" heims so it's easy(no taper),I'm sure you could have a machine shop cut the taper for a TRE pretty cheap. Probly alot less than $135.00 and a few hours work. I don't have a digi cam but as soon as I can get my pics developed I'll post it up along with my exo progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
dkc1657 said:

Well its the shipping is not OTT's fault really, it's the cross border issues. Plus, due to the circumstances of late, I'd imagine the US Customs are much more stickier than Canadian customs. All Canadian customs seem to want is the tax revenue, I don't really think theres much of a security issue when shipping from US to Can.

I'm in BC Canada myself, and when I order stuff from the US (which is quite often, especially from CA), I always ship it to a reciever in WA. There are lots of border shipping companies that will recieve and hold my package. That way, shipping is qwik and I just jump across the border, pick it up, and deal with cross border issues myself. It works for us Cad's because the majority of big Canadian cities are located close the US border.

You might want to ask OTT if they'll arrange a package deal where they can get someone to cross the US border, deal with customs and ship FROM to the US to you, that way it's just another US-to-US shipment. Carriers like UPS will cross the border for you, but they'll charge a brokerage fee.
Thanks for the info. After being quoted $350 when I called I'd rather go somewhere else but if it gets me a pitman I'll go anywhere... except Allpro, they could give them away and I'd go without. As for the sky arm is it going to be machined or welded? If it's a one piece unit I'm down for one. I need either a Chevy TRE taper or just left blank.

Travis

1 - 20 of 62 Posts