Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I put the t-case in neutral if I will only be towing about 250 miles? Also how do you hook up the brake and turn lights? Thanks

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You are far better off removing the rear driveine. You only have to remove the four bolts at the pinion, then hang it up and out of the way. I would do it for anything over 20 miles... it only takes a second.. IMHO... :D

Brake and turn signal, two options:

Wire into the cruisers lights, not really hard to do, just mor etime consuming than anything...

Use a magnetic base or some other type of temporary light, cheap, plugs right into the trailer plug on tow rig, and you odn't have to hack into your existing harness.

Good Luck :D

Edit: I thought about this one for a minute...:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sounds like I will use the magnetic type for and easier set up. Bill

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
mobiltoy said:
Thanks. Sounds like I will use the magnetic type for and easier set up. Bill
Check with auto parts stores, I know AutoZone and Pepboy type places carry them, much easier and temporary than hacking you wiring and it can be transfered to other vehicles.:D

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Do NOT put the transfer case in neutal. Basically with the lock out gate (stock) that selects 2WD --> 4WD (up - down), then 4Hi - N - 4 Lo (left to right)... when you go into "N" you've locked front and rear driveshaft!!!

If you have a modified transfer case gate and can select "2WD LO" then the neutral between 2WD HI and 2WD Lo would work (if you have to ask, you have an stock transfer select).

Yes, do leave the transmission in nuetral (standard) & drop the driveshaft for longer (>500 miles) drives. If you have an automatic, you really should drop the driveshaft for flat towing (leave in 4WD HI, unlock front hubs).

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Mr McGee said:

not to be an ass.......bud does it really matter? :confused:
Nope. :flipoff2:

I just get in the habit of leaving it in 4Hi and front hubs unlocked. With the rear driveshaft REMOVED, and unlocked hubs... na, doesn't matter.

Yes, you might get a stuck hub, suddenly adding to the drag (if in 2HI the transfer case is disengaged... not an issue).

Worst thing... having a $%^! box shift and knock it into gear. I'm a little paranoid, and used to leave a broom stick sitting in the rig.
Just press the clutch down, jam the broom stick in place. If something shifts and knocks it into gear... at least the engine is
disengaged! :D

Tom :usa:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts