Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
searched but didn't find what i wanted...

i want to replace my piece of crap no name stiff SUA springs on my 47 2a. looks like they are 2.5" springs of some kind...31s clear with a heck of a lot of room. i dont' have a prob doing stuff like shackle reversal, movement of spring/shackle hangers etc... but im looking for a simple leaf setup that will work well in sand and little rocks, nothing hardcore (the dana 25 up front won't stand up to it). the jeeps got a 44 rear, 289 v8, dana 18 transfer case and a t-90 3spd tranny with warn overdrive. engine's got some oomph. i doubt the 25 front would even stand up to 35s, so ill plan on 33s for now. what spring setup is good. prolly a stupid question, but i couldn't find much on mild sand setups

opinions?

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I thought stock springs over the axles worked well. Probably new stock springs would be best.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Come on fella's let's see some good answers!

I want/am thinking about shackle rev. fab up on my early cj...

This would be a great post for both Big willy and I!

EEEEEEEEeeeerrrrr

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I *think* 46Willys has YJ SOA with 36's...and lots of pics. I think that would be a good set up for 33's, also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a 462a with rev shack & spring over using cj5 springs to retain the stock width and its woks good. Get some adj shocks to firm up in the sand.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey guys,
Im not sure Im the guy you are thinking of, here is my set up.

I have YJ rancho 2 inch lift springs in the front, outboarded for the cherokee 44 I have in there.

In the rear I have 1980 cj5 springs(rear springs). It is spring over.

I dont have 36's but I do have 35's. I have moved the front axle forward about 3 inches and the rear axle back about 5 inches for a little more length, and then I did some fender trimming in the back. I do have some picks but the scanner is down, however, my dad just got a new digi cam and I might swing by there saturday or sunday and get some picks, then I will give my 20 bones for the red star and get some picks up, if all goes to plan.

ONE MORE THING...for the guy running cj5 springs in the front...how do you get any lift at all out of those, I had them on the front before i went with the yj springs and i had a hard time fitting the 35's...What motor do you have...I had a small block and a winch sitting on mine and the things were negative arched just sitting there. If you run a lot of weight up front I would not use the extremely thin front cj5 springs, however i have heard of people using rear cj springs in the front and rear with good results, I am happy with my rear ones , I know...but no way on the fronts.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey guys, it might be next weekend before i can get pics up..Dads is about 45 minutes from where I live and we just got some more snow and the drive pretty well sucks even when its dry so I might hold off till next weekend.

MY 2WD RANGER SUCKS IN SNOW..hell it wont go in wet grass.

Look for a whole new thread with pics sometime next week.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks 46 willys. ive heard that about the cj5 springs up front too. theres another post going about a schackle reversal right now, itdoesn't sound like its worth it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I saw a Flatty a friend was working on in his shop (No Excuses Inc) few years ago. He used Rancho 1" lifted springs done SOA. It cleared 35's real well.

If you want to speak with him directly..Jack at No Excuses 800-923-JEEP. He's located in NJ.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks for the tip...looked up rancho springs, one place want over 300 bucks for the kit.

In this ad's picture, the guys says he's got "rancho cj5 springs" and it clears 36x12.50s. how big of lift springs do ya'll think these are...

http://www.xtreme4x4s.com/00233807605.jpg

some companies sell whole SRS kits for cj5 springs, so if i decided to do that it'd make it easier

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Bigwillys
Heres the pics I promised of my Flatty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I thought I had some better suspension pics, I will get a couple better ones tonight. I run about a 2 inch lift spring and they flex great with the spring over, this should deffinitly be you first mod. I ran 33s on the stock d25 for a couple years and all I can say is bring spare every thing. The 33s will rub your front springs but as long as you leave the axles where they are you wont need to do any cutting. more info and pics tomorow:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
awesome thanks for the posts, lookin forward toi seein the rest!
I figured the tires might rub the springs, so i was thinking maybe 33x10.50s. ive got 31x10.50s now and theres no rub. heck maybe even 34x9.50s might work although i might start to lose the flotation id want for the sand. i dunno

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Clean out your PM box:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Finaly got some decent pics
This is a pic of the scout rear I use. Its spring over with 2" lift packs that are a combo of rancho and super lift junk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Heres another pic. While these springs flex great they sag quick and I have broken both rears at the same time so since you allready have the wider springs I would stay with them

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Heres the front SR and despite what any one says I like it:flipoff2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts