Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm doing the mini-truck disk brake conversion now and I would like to run flexible brake lines from the axle to the calipers so when there is need to bleed the brake when pulling out front axles, I did a search, no too much info since some ran custom lines, I need a part number to order from napa and such, I saw these part number from Cruiserbrett's posting, which one should I use? I heard Downey has some flex lines? Or any other places?

38881 = 15 7/8" OAL
38878 = 12 3/4" OAL

My truck is a '75 fj40 with the brake line tubes ran to sides of the knuckles. Thanks.

/td

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
td,
the 38878 works better when the tab for the brake line is moved to the top of the axle, pointing forward. Much cleaner this way. also, none of the numbers will have the exact right fitting for the hole in the tab. the factory ones are round, but these will require a bit of a hex shape in the hole, maybe 3-5 minutes with a small mill file.

the 38881 works better with the factory location tabs, but it will make a bit of a funny looking bend, and I chose to move the tabs and run the shorter hose.

I spent an hour with the rabestos book trying to find just the right hose and those two seem to be the best, and I prefer moving the tab and slightly rerouting the lines to work better.

Here is a pic of the 38878 running directly from the caliper with the tab on the top. much cleaner IMHO.

If your shock tab is in the stock location, just move it inboard a bit more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Here's how I did mine. I first went to Pick and Pull and found that a Corolla rear line from the axle to the frame had the correct fittings on the ends. I pulled 2 lines from 2 different cars. None of the lines were in that good of shape but I got the best ones I could find. I took them home and bolted them to the caliper and to the axle, It looked like they would work ok. So I talked to a good buddy of mine and he said if I send him one he could copy it in a braided line. So this is what I'm running.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Does anyone else have a similar setup to Rock Huggers? :smokin:

Particularly interested in what year corolla...

anyone, anyone?
manny

·
Registered
941 Posts
I used the stock toyota pickup lines for a while, just like rockhuggrs. However, they flexed a bit too much so I went to the Williams oil filter in tacoma and had custom stainless braid ones made. My setup looks identical to rockhuggrs.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Just another option, I chose to drill out the rivets on the brake line junction block, I then welded nuts on the inside of my brake backing plate so it coould be bolted on...

No when I pull my knuckle apart, I just undo two 10mm head bolts and the caliper is free to move (sit it on the spring)...

Advantage: You don't have vulnerable rubber lines running from the caliper to the housing, I have seen several ripped off while wheeling... trees, sharp rocks, etc... The metal line may kink or bend, but most likely won't break. :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just did mine when I went to 4runner calipers. Supposedly napa carries some that work, but I couldn't find anything in stock at any of the local parts places that would work so I had custom lines made at a local hose shop. Could be a tad shorter I guess, but no worries.

Those numbers you have are Napa part numbers. Supposedly the shorter ones (#38878) are the ones to use.

-Ferg-

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
As I get older, I try a little harder to avoid reinventing the wheel if I don't have to.

Downey's got the right stuff for this.

:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey Crusierbrett! I like your method, that looks very clean and functional!

Hey Ferg, you drag link looks unsafe with that much threads showing man it has to be near the end of the TRE!

Looks like marlin sent you the wrong one too! The one he sent me was like 2" too short to get a good amount of threads in there, so supposedly he is sending me a new one! Might wanna drop him an email! (i dealt with Chris G)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Boston Mangler said:
Hey Ferg, you drag link looks unsafe with that much threads showing man it has to be near the end of the TRE!

Looks like marlin sent you the wrong one too! The one he sent me was like 2" too short to get a good amount of threads in there, so supposedly he is sending me a new one! Might wanna drop him an email! (i dealt with Chris G)
Thanks Mack. I actually did notice it and was going to deal with it, but I was thinking perhaps I just placed my pitman arm on not quite center. But after checking it lock-to-lock, if the pitman arm isn't center, it's only off by like one or maybe two teeth. There's no way moving it over one or two teeth will net me a gain of atleast two inches. Looks like I better give Marlin Crawler a call...

-Ferg-

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Does anyone know the original vehicle application for the 38878 brake hose?
Napa # UBP38878
Raybestos #BH38878

thanks,
manny

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
are you trying to pick these up used/junkyard? remind me to not be ahead of you on the trail....

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
mr_manny said:
Does anyone else have a similar setup to Rock Huggers? :smokin:

Particularly interested in what year corolla...

anyone, anyone?
manny
I believe it was an 80ish Corolla, it is on the rear from the frame to the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
mr_manny said:
Does anyone know the original vehicle application for the 38878 brake hose?
Napa # UBP38878
Raybestos #BH38878

thanks,
manny
If i am not mistaken (and i could be). These are NOT from a vehicle application, instead, they might be a general hose that napa sells and fits a bunch of things. I am guessing this, because they are pretty much special order anywhere ya go!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
woody said:
are you trying to pick these up used/junkyard? remind me to not be ahead of you on the trail....
Once I get the original application info, I will be able to get a part# from russell/earl's.
Just want to make sure what I order the right braided brake hose.
Downey's may be the answer...

Your a funny guy Brian, that's why I'll kill you last :D
manny

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
saved again by my quick wit....

hose places outta be smart enuf to cross app the numbers, and save you from a frustrating day of crawling around a muddy junkyard looking for a stupid hose they will charge you $5 to take out....

I H8 Mud

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am re routing my lines and going from the

38881 = 15 7/8" OAL
to the
38878 = 12 3/4" OAL

And mounting them like cruiserbrett did, that is a slick and clean method and they dont get pinched! If you can use a PAIR of 38881's hit me offlist and i will sell em pretty cheap (got less then 100 miles on them). They are too long for my application! My 38878's will be here in 3-4 days!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts