Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored so i decided to go up this little embankment next to my house to see how well the lifted 52's up front and the johnny jointed rear would flex. Seems like it shouldnt do too bad. Heres some pics. Sorry about some of them being kinda blurry.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
a true hillbilly does their flexing in the driveway with a engine hoist and a chain :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
fender eat tire. tire eat fender. are you going wheel this thing or drive it to the mall? break out the sawzall and drop it 8 inches!

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
those are some big tires for dry conditions...

not that you dont need a tire that big... but i dont see much mud out there in the desert.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:
whats wrong with a clean, well built lifted truck? just cuz its not going to be a hardcore rock buggy and doesnt have a body thats been beat to shit doesnt make it gay.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
A little tall for my preference...but it's what you like that counts. Next to your house? There's still OSB sheathing on the walls, get the house wrapped/sided then go flex your rig. Cute pup! :)

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Post a pic of it with it up to it's rocker panels in some nice deep gumbo. Not a pic of it posing on the side of a highway "flexing" in some terrain that a 2wd could just as easily cross.

I'd say he's looking at in excess of 30 degrees on the u-joint, if he bothers to install one at all.

hehehe, it is 2wd...as noted by the lack od front shaft.......

·
Registered
208 Posts
lighten up guys

The truck looks like it's getting taken care of, one step at a time. I think it looks very clean. If none of you have ever taken out your front shaft to work on your junk then maybe life has been simply really easy on you. I know I've taken mine out many times... just part of the process. Big deal.

I think the dude is on the right track. Pretty good flexin' for such a tall rig.

Keep up the good work man.

·
Registered
17,539 Posts
I was bored so i decided to go up this little embankment next to my house to see how well the lifted 52's up front and the johnny jointed rear would flex. Seems like it shouldnt do too bad. Heres some pics. Sorry about some of them being kinda blurry.

Looks good!

But definitely cut the fender lips out.

And as far as big tires goes; those will do well when aired down while going through sand and other soft trails!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind words, lol.. you all are right, it is a tall 2wd k5 with nothing intending but mall crawling. I guess i should have posted more about my truck and my intentions but it seems worthless at this point, but i will try and give a little background info on it anyways. I actually just got the truck driving three days ago, so there are things that need to be fixed, adjustment wise. I'm in college and have to pay my own way through it, so a front drive-shaft is a little on the spendy side so it has to wait until i finish the doubler for it anyway. The fenders are also gonna get cut up, but i jsut havent done it yet, cuz i just finially got the blazer moving. As far as the hieght goes, i've seen plenty of k5's here that had 8-10" of lift(just like mine) and they didnt get flamed like i did. oh well.. as for the rest of the k5 i guess i will give the specs and the time and effort that has gone into this build. Everything on this truck my dad, grandpa and i did. This is the first time either of them have helped build a 4 wheel drive truck like this,(usually they are building classic hotrods like my dad's 65 fastback stang, his 70 ss chevelle drag car, and my grandpa's 55 f100 truck) and it was a learning experience for us all, and i greatly appreciate all the time spent with both of them during this build. The only thing we didnt do was build the rear shaft, but we did all the wrenching time. When i was driving it in high school it was just a stock k5, that my dad and grandpa helped me build a small block 400 for it. After i graduated the blazer became my project, and was no longer needed for daily commuting, so i decided to convert to a one-ton, and then things just started rolling from there. Both, the dana 60 and the 14 bolt are completely re-done with new everything, (except for shafts in the 14ff). The front has a detroit with 35 spline inners and outters, the rear is welded, and also has disc brakes, and they both have 5.13 gears. As far as steering mods go, i have rocklogic hydro-assist on it, with the ord bolt-on steering brace. The suspension is a little different then the typical 52 spring swap and shackle flip. As i stated in the beginning of the thread, it has lifted TuffCountry 52's up front along with the DIY4x B52 brackets and shackle mounts. This option gave me an easy way to find the optimum shackle angle to run. For the rear, i also running tuffcountry spring, but they are 56's reversed and connected to a custome DIY4X shackle flip. The reason i say its custom is because Kert and DIY4X built it with a johnny joint instead of a regular poly bushing. here is a pic of the shackle flip, and some others of the truck before i converted it to the one-ton:

this is how it looked back when i drove it in high school:

This is the small block 400, that my Grandpa and Dad helped me build:

this is how my dana 60 looked when i got it.

This is both my axles in the rebuild process:

The coole B52's from DIY4X:

Installing the new suspension and one-tons:

I'm sure there is more that i'm missing right now, but thats what i've done in the last couple years and i was just stoked to finially see my truck move under its own power again. There will be more done, when the funds allow it to happen, but it is hard to manage school and a toy financially, but it will eventually be 4wd and have full intentions of actually wheeling it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
FIRST off , i think this is a really good looking rig .. looks fun and cool to drive . as with any other rig that has been built it is gonna take some tweaking ( fender trimming and this and that ) but that is how it goes right?

SECONDLY that truck being taller then mine doesnt matter to me!!!!! why does it bother everyone else ??? my truck used to be lifted 12" and wheeled , I DIDNT LIKE IT .... BUT hey this guy might . to each his own right ??

hey maybe we should all come up with a guideline for all us chevy guys to build our trucks to ?? that way we could all have the exact same setup.
wow that would be awesome huh

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I was about to say very nice looking, stout Blazer until I saw the very last pic above of you posing next to your rig...totally :rainbow:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There are better forums for this kind of truck. lower it and chop the fenders then come back with some real action shots. As it sits it will do fine over the speed bumps! :flipoff2: :D

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe they should come up with some sort of guidelines. Here are some that I think should be included:

1. They should be safe in the environment they were built to operate in. Outside of a mudbog pit, this thing doesn't belong anywhere.

2. If it is being built solely as a mall crawler, then it has no place here, but if you do show up bragging about it, then there should be a disclaimer in the title that it has absolutely no functionality, and that is all about posing.

3. If you install a D60 front axle, a working t-case and driveshaft should be required.

4. Don't claim to have a Detroit in an axle without a driveshaft. It makes you look foolish.

5. Don't bother mentioning how many hot rods, cruisers, and low-riders you have built, because this isn't the place for it.

6. Don't bother talking about all the time and effort that has gone into it. Time and effort are not the same thing as vision and talent. It takes all 4 to make a great build. If people like it, you will get praise, if they don't, well, you'll hear about that too.
Saying that you and your folks did all the work on a completely bolt on build is ridiculous. Someone else did all the work, and you capitalized on it.

I'm sure that there are any number of other people who will chime in about this.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with his truck. I'm saying that there is no tech in it, other than some Brand Name Dropping. It is not a capable 4 wheeler. It is less safe in every conceivable environment aside from deep mud. It's too tall to be safely driven on the streets. The brakes are in no way up to the task of stopping a vehicle with those tires. It's handling will be compromised on and off road. It is an interesting showpiece, nothing more.
Even though i posted it before, it is not even done yet. I figured a truck/rig is only really done when you sell it, and i'm sure there are plenty of things that you are/want to change on your rig, so i'm sure yours isnt done yet either, but to each his own i guess. I mean some of the things you pointed out are very valid points, but like i mentioned, i'm in the process of getting it to be 4wd. It takes time and money, and when i have to support my self and pay for my own education, i have to be able to figure out where and when i can spend my money. As for some of the other things u stated, like the brakes not being able to stop this rig, whats up with that? Many people on this board run the d60 and 14ff with discs, and have no problems stopping trucks on 44's, hell venders sell kits for it here, but like i said earlier its your opinion. I knew coming on to this board with something that only the minority here would somewhat respect was bold, but i thought it was worth giving someone ideas. Out of all the 4wd boards, this one receives the most traffic hands down, so maybe someone, somewhere will get some ideas from it, who knows. Ya maybe it is too tall for most, but some might be able to get ideas on how things would work and look for there lower, more hardcore truck. Like you said its all about vision, so people can take bits and pieces from the threads on this board and create what they want to. Either way, i have to take the good with the bad, and like i said, i realized people on here wouldnt like as much unless it was 3" of lift, and no fenders with a whole bunch of tubes, which is cool, but i wanted to take a different route. Just like every truck it goes through an evolution of change, and who knows, i'm sure someday it will be taht low, tubed out buggy, who knows, i just built a rig that i have a vision for, and i guess everyone has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Bud, you really need to shut the fuck up. You sound like an idiot. You made your point a long time ago. Let it go. Its not your rig, you dont have to drive it so why do you care so much. He already said it was not a daily driver anymore. And i dont think his intention for this thread was to brand name drop. And even if he was, he is just giving praise to the fine workmanship that went into the stuff DIY4X built. And then for you to say that, " I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with his truck." Are you joking, all you have done is say what is wrong with his truck. He has a great start to his rig and maybe he will learn that a huge rig doesn't fair well on the trails. Maybe he doesnt care and just wants to mud it. Either way you need to chill out and let him continue his build thread. Post up your build thread and let everyone call you gay and stupid for every little thing that people dont agree with. Sometimes there is just way to much internet tough guy going on here. Call him up, meet up and then settle it like a man! Or just shut up.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul...

not for nothing, but he has a point.

the guy has a 2wd blazer with 44s. Sure, it looks nice. but it belongs in "BIG GAY TRUCK LAND". it is not capable offroad. the balloons on it with a short wheelbase make it sorta like driving a big ol sponge.

This is Pirate 4x4 dot com. This site was started as a rock crawling site. there is no forum for big gay trucks, and this is the chevy board. this guy didnt start as a newbie.. in Newbie. he started here.. on the Chevy board. he didnt take teh time to read the stuff up there at the top of the page.

sure, he has a cool looking mall crawling pavement pounding 2wheel drive.

so what?

should we give him a cookie, or teeth to eat it with?

I dont have a build up thread. I wont post one, either. I dont throw bling at my thing.

Some of you newbies need to go back to newbieville and get a grip on yourselves. you might be an old hand to building trucks, and that'd be great. understand that the idea here is to provide a look at CAPABLE OFFROAD MACHINERY, versus mall crawling pieces of shit that get all of us tagged as "those annoying 4wd crowd with huge tires and headlights that are 10 feet off the ground".

a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet... call a turd a turd... dont polish it. Show me some tech, besides bolting on someone elses parts that i can find info about by just logging into a website. I personally want to see how the front driveshaft will be hooked up without looking like a slinky.

and by the way, 44boggers, you might have just made yourself out to be a target...

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
if the poit to doing the 52" swap is to get soft flexy springs, then why would you get 8" 52" that put you directly back into the stiff shitty situation again?

why are you going to bother with a doubler? its too tall to be in any situation that you could use one.

what does your dads/gramps vehicles have anything to do with building your rig?

1 - 20 of 169 Posts