Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Maybe they should come up with some sort of guidelines. Here are some that I think should be included:

1. They should be safe in the environment they were built to operate in. Outside of a mudbog pit, this thing doesn't belong anywhere.

2. If it is being built solely as a mall crawler, then it has no place here, but if you do show up bragging about it, then there should be a disclaimer in the title that it has absolutely no functionality, and that is all about posing.

3. If you install a D60 front axle, a working t-case and driveshaft should be required.

4. Don't claim to have a Detroit in an axle without a driveshaft. It makes you look foolish.

5. Don't bother mentioning how many hot rods, cruisers, and low-riders you have built, because this isn't the place for it.

6. Don't bother talking about all the time and effort that has gone into it. Time and effort are not the same thing as vision and talent. It takes all 4 to make a great build. If people like it, you will get praise, if they don't, well, you'll hear about that too.
Saying that you and your folks did all the work on a completely bolt on build is ridiculous. Someone else did all the work, and you capitalized on it.

I'm sure that there are any number of other people who will chime in about this.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with his truck. I'm saying that there is no tech in it, other than some Brand Name Dropping. It is not a capable 4 wheeler. It is less safe in every conceivable environment aside from deep mud. It's too tall to be safely driven on the streets. The brakes are in no way up to the task of stopping a vehicle with those tires. It's handling will be compromised on and off road. It is an interesting showpiece, nothing more.

this is why pirate4x4 is starting to sound like a bunch of school girls that think they know everything. Its not yours so why are you so worried about what he is doing to it. Its one of the cleanest K5's ive seen on here. Who gives a shit if it can climb a hill or not. Atleast it will look good sitting in the driveway and not some beat up POS.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
this is why pirate4x4 is starting to sound like a bunch of school girls that think they know everything. Its not yours so why are you so worried about what he is doing to it. Its one of the cleanest K5's ive seen on here. Who gives a shit if it can climb a hill or not. Atleast it will look good sitting in the driveway and not some beat up POS.
you know, in some colleges, they have classes that can be done pass or fail. if this was one of them, this term paper would receive a failing grade.

this site is not a bunch of school girls, but is being invaded by a bunch of fucktards that think they dont have to accept being flamed, or any ridicule. who gives a shit if it can climb a hill? the guy behind it on a trail.

having a clean truck is great. but dont come to an OFFROAD website with something that isnt capable OFFROAD and think that youre not going to get some grief.

in other words, youre whining because he didnt get an A grade, and you think he should be allowed to pass the course based on looks, rather than based on functionality.

you can have 3 things

looks/form
function/capability
Driveability

pick two.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Ok, let me edit that last part....

you can want 3 things

looks/form
function/capability
Driveability

pick two.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
do you randomly post shit and expect no feed back or opinions on what you posted?

oh thank good it looks good, because that will get him or his buddy out of a shitty situation. well i guess you cant get in to a bad spot sitting in the driveway looking good. that is a whole lot of bitchen parts just sitting in the driveway looking good, that d60 and detriot will come in real handy there.

there is sooooo much potentail for this truck. he has done a good job of pick the majority of his parts, the end product is not sutiable for anything other than, now what was that phrase again, oh yeah, looks good.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
What a way to start Sunday morning for me:laughing:

The Blazer looks nice.......

The hill used for flex testing is...well...umm....I don't know.....no words can come to mind.....so I will just post a :rainbow:

Those springs won't flex beyond about what we see in those pics.

The fenders need surgury.

The tailights fall into the above nameless category with the rainbow...

No front driveshaft is needed for mallcrawling...I don't see why you guys are getting so worked up over it....

Dahoyle, did your wife burn your toast this morning?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Dude, I've seen your other threads.

You would have been better off to have remained silent, and let everyone wonder.
Guess the cat's out of the bag now.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687892&highlight=

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681372&highlight=

"would 5.29s, 35s and a straight axle effect mileage much?"

:flipoff2:
well alot of guys running this same setup are still getting in the 16s and 17s. well my truck gets around 18 right now...hmm, so one or two less miles per gallon? doesnt seem like much to me.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
VHD44,

It was not my intent to for my particular opinion to dominate your thread, so I am deleting all of my posts except this one and the first one.

I would ask that everyone who cluttered this thread up attacking my opinion do the same. If you want to, we can start our very own thread, and continue things there.

Hope that you get the bugs worked out of it, because I see huge potential in the truck, you will have to lower it considerably to realize them.

Doug

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
well i'm going to try and answer as many questions as possible, but if i miss something, plz forgive me cuz a lot was said since i've been gone.
trkklr77: you're right i do have a lot of money tied up in the parts i listed off, but i have been collecting those parts since i was in high school, and spending every possible dollar that i could afford to spend to get the truck where it is now. I am three years out of high school, so it was easier to break down 5K+ over the years then all at one time, and i'm still going, but its a slower process for me then some. As for running the lifted 52's up front, i wanted a way to clear 44's a little easier while still being able to have some fenders left( i know i still have to cut), and the spring rates are comparable to those who run the tuff country e.z. ride 4 and 6" front springs, which from what i've read, people seemed to have good luck with on there trucks. Also it allowed me to move the front axle approx 3" so that would help keep the tires out of the firewall, and also allow for a greater approach angle. And your right, my dad's or grandpa's rigs having totally nothing to do with this rig except for the fact that we have never built any type of 4wheel drive like this. This is my first real build, and just like everyone when building things, we all learn as we go. We figure what works and what doesn't. Thats half the fun.

Dahoyle: well you are already aware that i was talking about 52" front springs, so i guess i should have made that more clear in my first post, along with other things i should have mentioned, but either way.. i dont plan on running 52" tall tires, especially with a d60 and a 14 bolt.. not enough gearing and strength would be the biggest concern, and i would probably get more flaming then i'm already receiving, lol. I do realize this is a rockcrawling website, and yes my truck does not fit into that stereotype of keep em' low status, and i'm aware of this. I wanted to try something new, and be a little different then everyone else who has a fullsize chevy. I mean there are a lot of people who take their fullsize's and do the 52's, shackle flips, one-tons, and go have a good time beating the piss out of them, which is what this whole sport is about; making somehting to accomplish off camber tasks. I just thought w/ my truck i could accomplish some of the great benefits of 52's up front and have a little more lift then what stock 52's allow for to help clear 44's a little better. I guess if we all had the same trucks then we would already know what to expect before we even take them out. As for my truck being a mall crawler, i have all intentions to take it offroad when it is actually able to. I'm not really into the mall crawling, and dont have any plans on taking this truck on the streets. It will have a front shaft, and i will use 4wd, and i'm working on that. I dont see any point in spending money in parts that are not going to be used, such as all the one ton stuff. I'm still just getting my feet wet with this 4wheeling stuff, and i just wanted to make something that i felt was a suitable start, you dont know unless you try.. and who knows, i probably will fail many times, but hey thats part of the deal to, i guess with out failure you would have nothing to compare sucess too. The reason i posted the pics, and it is actually the first pics of my truck that i have ever posted on pirate, except for in the chevy trucks sticky thread, b/c i was aware of the flaming that i would probably receive, but i had a little confidence that people might be impressed that people are willing to take proven ideas and build on them, in some ppl's eyes for better and in other's for worse, evidently. Oh and if i'm ever in colorado i will hit u up on that beer, lol.
Basically i've been on this board since 05' and i've been searching and reading trying to figure out what has worked for people, and what people have done to improve and use the proven theories to make suitable to their needs. I dont post much up on this board, but i do read a lot here, because people here do know what they are talking about. I just posted this up so people can get ideas of what/how other theories work, and who knows, maybe the lifted 52's suck ass up front, maybe the absolutely rock, who knows, but only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
VHD44,

It was not my intent to for my particular opinion to dominate your thread, so I am deleting all of my posts except this one and the first one.

I would ask that everyone who cluttered this thread up attacking my opinion do the same. If you want to, we can start our very own thread, and continue things there.

Hope that you get the bugs worked out of it, because I see huge potential in the truck, you will have to lower it considerably to realize them.

Doug
hey doug, just read this, i was typing up my other reply, when u posted it up. Anyways, no sweat on the thread, it is classy to own up and trying clear things elsewhere, which i think is pretty cool. I really dont mind, as i expected to get flamed pretty bad, but hopefully when i actually get the rig off road capable, i will win a couple of opinions back.

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
but hopefully when i actually get the rig off road capable, i will win a couple of opinions back.
Be sure to post a build thread....you did better with your second set of pics. I think the point here is if you're going to build a rig, make it usable and keeping a safe COG is important......as we now know the world is not flat like it used to be.
I would suggest a cage or at least a roll bar, bumpers to clean up the "photochop" look about the front and rear fenders. Maybe fab up some tube to ride against the cut fenders/qtr then blend inot a nice rear bumper....same in the front. Just some starters...and I am sure that will all come in due time. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Post the pics you had on ck5 of how bad it leans because you put johnny joints instead of bushings in the shackle flip o_O

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Ok, let me edit that last part....

you can want 3 things

looks/form
function/capability
Driveability

pick two.
thats usually true, but you can have all three if you do your research and take your time and do everything right.

once he gets a front driveshaft, he'll have a nice truck with a stout motor that shouldnt have any trouble rescuing his buddies from the mud pits. yes its a tall truck, but it could still handle a fair share of trails (not tight ones), mud for sure and sand (which is what the majority of the stuff probably is around where he lives)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice blazer, it would fit in PERFECTLY down here in the mud holes that are barely long enough for the truck, but over the 44's. Not so much on the trails though.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
thats usually true, but you can have all three if you do your research and take your time and do everything right.

once he gets a front driveshaft, he'll have a nice truck with a stout motor that shouldnt have any trouble rescuing his buddies from the mud pits. yes its a tall truck, but it could still handle a fair share of trails (not tight ones), mud for sure and sand (which is what the majority of the stuff probably is around where he lives)
did you not see the sage brush, and desert landscape?

are you smoking hashish/marijuana, or did you graduate straight to crack?

I live where we have mud. we have trails too. with that much lift, he would be repainting it every week.that, and the mud holes wouldnt be much of an issue, until the guy behind him got in it. with 44s, and 5.13s, he wouldnt be a very popular guy, unless he had about 500 hp and 500 ftlbs... which im betting he doesnt.

it looks like a capable street truck, so lets leave it at that: a pavement pounding marshmallow on big ol black balloon tires, or something i used to call a "condom decorator".

21 - 40 of 169 Posts