Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
i dont know if this has been said what what about taking 1 or 2 leaves out of the front and back springs to soften it up and lower your truck a few inches. not knocking you truck i like it, my buddy has one exactly like yours.
Hey, thanks, this also an option i have seen pop up a couple of times. I would really like to get a front drive-shaft in, do a little cutting, fix a couple of adjustments that i need to make, and test it out. After i test it, i will make adjustments accordingly.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
and you trying to boost his ego is sooooo important
Why do you even bother posting on this board?

I've seen plenty of your posts, in the last couple months it seems like everything you post is negative. What are you getting out of PBB?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why do you even bother posting on this board?

I've seen plenty of your posts, in the last couple months it seems like everything you post is negative. What are you getting out of PBB?
Not everything is negative. He has helped me out a few times with advice and stuff. Also made me feel like an idiot a couple times lol but look at his screen name or whatever you want to call it, Grumpy Old Fart. That should tell you something right there

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looks like bolt on parts to me thats not tech thats what instructions are for.

·
Registered
803 Posts
VHD44 i can beleave you have been here since Feb. 05 and didn't think this was gunna happen. this is a hardcore offroad forum NOT a 4x4 forum. this truck does not belong here.
just my $.02

·
Registered
652 Posts
03f350 look at the other posts on the first page and tell me this is a hard core fourm.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Don't worry about the " Hardcore" guys do what ya want that's why it's your vehicle and not theres. For every dipshit nay sayer there are 2 more people that do like what you have.

Not every rig has four inches of lift and 42inches of flex and crawls nothing but rocks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you really dont get it do you
you guys are the reason why there are so many pissed off people here...
someone wants to show their hard work off and you flame them
who cares if you like what it looks like or not
if you dont llike people showing off their rigs no matter what they look like then you leave
No you don't get it, to a lot of us this is not hard work, he bought lift springs and pre made brackets. Hard work is planning, bending tube, I bet he didn't even have to use a welder on that truck. Look at some of these build threads, this is why we come to Pirate4x4: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615419&highlight=monster+buggy
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562853

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
No you don't get it, to a lot of us this is not hard work, he bought lift springs and pre made brackets. Hard work is planning, bending tube, I bet he didn't even have to use a welder on that truck. Look at some of these build threads, this is why we come to Pirate4x4: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615419&highlight=monster+buggy
X2. We don't want this site to turn into just your average daily wheeler site where people show off their mall crawlers and talk about what after market bumpers to fit on their truck or how to change you fawkin oil or any of that bull crap. We wanna see REAL tech, not bolt on and make shiny crap.

I'm not against full size trucks. I've got one. But I wanna see that sky scraper go through the trails I run. Your gonna find out trees and any type of incline is gonna SUCK for you.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
i like how you are quick to assume, lol.. but you are wrong, i did infact weld and bend tube for this truck, may not be much, but still not all bolt on, and i'm still not finished,..I welded up the rear gov-bomb, along with bending my own drag-link and welding in the bungs. And you make it sound so easy to "bolt" everything on, just cuz i have aftermarket springs, and brackets, doesnt mean i didnt spend some wrench time in the truck. I read both the dana 60 bible and the 14 bolt bible from this site to help me set up the gears in each. I also had the help of my grandpa but still it was a first time for me to set up gears and i ended up learning a lot more that way. But even farther then the gears and building axles in general, i've searched and read countless threads from this site and others, to help me set up everything the way it is, and i'm sure if it was lower, i wouldnt be receiving the flame job that i've got, but i guess that is also part of this learning process. anyhow, here are a couple pics of the welded gov-bomb, and the draglink, and like i said it may not be much, but its a start towards getting better at fabricating i guess.
gov-bomb before

after

draglink

·
Registered
358 Posts
Want a cookie?

That's all fine and dandy, but you missed the point.

Here's my "abridged" version:
You posted pictures of your truck with 44's and enough lift to clear the tires without trimming fenders. The altezza tail lights top it off in my book. By doing that on THIS forum, you open yourself up to all types of critisicm, both positive and negative. There are going to be people that you don't agree with all over the world throughout your life, not just on some internet forum.

If you can't handle that, I kindly suggest that you refrain from posting pictures and asking for peoples' opinions.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Want a cookie?

That's all fine and dandy, but you missed the point.

Here's my "abridged" version:
You posted pictures of your truck with 44's and enough lift to clear the tires without trimming fenders. The altezza tail lights top it off in my book. By doing that on THIS forum, you open yourself up to all types of critisicm, both positive and negative. There are going to be people that you don't agree with all over the world throughout your life, not just on some internet forum.

If you can't handle that, I kindly suggest that you refrain from posting pictures and asking for peoples' opinions.

Actually I think YOU missed the point, I have seen plenty of vehicles bigger than his go where I'm sure your rig couldnt go (what does that prove anyway). He also never said he wasnt open to criticism, and has handled all of it with a decent attitude. I realize that his truck isnt everyones cup of tea but it still is far from a mall crawler and has plenty of tech in it to provide for even the mighty pirate crowd. As for some criticism I hope you can handle some yourself, if not then you can gnaw the bark off my log:flipoff2:.

·
Registered
629 Posts
ok i cant take this any longer .... this topic has been discussed before and here it goes again

in alot of cases its not about making it myself , for instance diff covers.
i can cut , grind, and weld .... BUT its almost stupid to do so when i can buy them already done for what it would cost me for a sheet of material and my time to do them.
this carries on to other things like random brackets and other misc. stuff.

IF I YOU HAVE THE $$ and do not mind spending it who cares about whether you fab it or not.
yes this is a hobby that shows your skills , but some people have to work for a living and like to enjoy their time wheeling.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Actually I think YOU missed the point, I have seen plenty of vehicles bigger than his go where I'm sure your rig couldnt go (what does that prove anyway). He also never said he wasnt open to criticism, and has handled all of it with a decent attitude. I realize that his truck isnt everyones cup of tea but it still is far from a mall crawler and has plenty of tech in it to provide for even the mighty pirate crowd. As for some criticism I hope you can handle some yourself, if not then you can gnaw the bark off my log:flipoff2:.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. :shaking:

Bolt-ons are not "good tech". They might be fine on FullsizeChevy.com or whatever, but showing us that you can measure for a drag link and drill a bunch of holes for bolts means nothing to me. Sorry bud.

ok i cant take this any longer .... this topic has been discussed before and here it goes again

in alot of cases its not about making it myself , for instance diff covers.
i can cut , grind, and weld .... BUT its almost stupid to do so when i can buy them already done for what it would cost me for a sheet of material and my time to do them.
this carries on to other things like random bracketry and other misc. stuff.

IF I YOU HAVE THE $$ and do not mind spending it who cares about whether you fab it or not.
Installing a 'kit' is extremely different from buying pre-made brackets and tabs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hey man, you do have a nice looking Blazer, a little taller than I would like, mine has 44's with 4 inches of lift, but to each his own.

You will have a blast wheeling the snot out of it.

And all the nay sayers, wheeling a tall rig is a blast!

·
Registered
17,539 Posts
I was bored so i decided to go up this little embankment next to my house to see how well the lifted 52's up front and the johnny jointed rear would flex. Seems like it shouldnt do too bad. Heres some pics. Sorry about some of them being kinda blurry.

For the 'It's-Too-Tall' people:

If the rig was as wide (Tire-footprint to tire-footprint) as it is tall, would that make a difference?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I find it all the "its too tall you won't be able to wheel it" comments FUNNY!!

How many of these keyboard terrorists have actually wheeled a tall vehicle. Like a 7000 lb Suburban on 47's with 12 inch lift springs and a 3 inch body lift....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This isn't my rig, but one I have worked on to build. And everytime we take it anywhere, we always get the "you can't wheel it, it's too big", especially in Moab, and yet every time those same people see it in action on sidehills and every obstacle, they change their mind in a hurry. It is surprising how stable stiff springs are on obstacles. On sidehills it feels better than my Blazer with almost no lift and soft springs.

In fact, in real wheeling situations and crawling, I have found that I prefer stable rigs over slinky suspended ones.

The shots shown are with the flexy springs as well call them....Should have seen how stiff it was before we corrected the suspension geometry

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Now what do all you cry Asses have to say? Oh wow it does have more that 4 inches of lift and tires bigger than 44in and it's on rocks!!!!:eek: This has to be a photo chop.

81 - 100 of 169 Posts