Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the story i have a c4 with a blown 302 on it and a 351 that was mated to a 4 speed. I want to know whts involved in swapping the motors. The 302 and c4 are out of a 70 mustang and the 351 out of a 72 pick up. Can i just swap the
flexplate over or is it more involved than that. Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
yes. That vintage of 302 will be the same balance as the 351...

Is it a 351W 351C... neither were stock in a '72 pickup.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Check your engines first, if its a cleveland, the bellhousing won't match up to your motor. Got to love Ford and thier 15 different bell housing patterns.

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
Check your engines first, if its a cleveland, the bellhousing won't match up to your motor. Got to love Ford and thier 15 different bell housing patterns.
*bzzt* try again. Cleveland is small block pattern.

If it's a 351M it won't fit. It has a big block bell pattern.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

thanks guys for your help. I believe it is a windsor, is there any easy way to tell the difference between clev. and windsor. and also since it is balanced can the flexplate only go on one way. thanks again guys i jumped into this project trying to help a buddy out and he knows less than me i appreciate the help

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Uh as a ford guy I just know the difference by looking at them. The windsor looks exactly like a 302 but with a wider intake manifold. A cleveland looks similar but the heads and valve covers are huge compared to the other two. So if the engine from the truck has a small block bellhousing but has much larger heads and valve covers its a cleveland. If by looking at it you cant tell any difference between it and the car 302 its a windsor. The flex plate will only go on one way so you are covered there. At the least you could take both fly wheels to an engine shop and have them check the balance. They could tell you quickly and easily if they are swappable. That is if you cant figure it out for yourself. A new one from carquest is only like 40 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts