Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 foot Pace Explorer RT toyhauler, it has two 3500 lb torsion axles, I want to upgrade the axles to at least two 5200 lb axles, but for $80 more I was thinking why not put two 7000 lb axles. Loaded the trailer would be right at about 10k lbs, but having a total of 14k axles on trailer would give me some leeway, plus torsion axles end up with extra weight on one axle at times, I would also like to store the trailer with my 4Runner inside, so it would be sitting in storage with weight. Are there any draw backs to going to the heavier axles? Also from 5200 lb axles to 7000 lb axles it goes from 6 lug to 8 lug wheels and I pull with a suburban 2500 and was thinking of getting matching wheels to the suburban, so that the spare in my tow rig would work on the trailer. I'm in CA and I heard trailers with axles over 10k would need to be commercial, but I'm not sure if this does not apply because mine is considered an RV. I am thinking of flexride axles because the height is adjustable. Any thoughts and recommendations welcome.

Also should I go with trailer tires or go with LT tires, load range E of coarse? I don't want my tires falling apart and tearing up my trailer.

I know some would say get another trailer, but it is hard to find a 20 ft toy hauler with a 15 ft garage(short enough to store in my driveway and garage space is long enough to fit my 4Runner). Trailer has a 6" I beam frame, which is capable of the 10k lb load.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the trailer is sold with 10k lb option on the same platform, just bigger axles, everything else the same, has the bigger ball, I forgot what size and both axles have brakes.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You don't need to register a trailer for more weight just because it has heavier axles UNLESS you want to haul more weight than the current registration.

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
according to my friend the retired chp guy utility 10.5 k and up requires a cdl. on rv's its 14k per manufacture specs, your good either way, but i would up grade the hitch to 2 5/16 to handle the extra load just to be on the safe side. check to be sure the tires will clear the wheel wells. other than welding on a new hitch the axles should bolt on. flex rides come with different angle drops. you can raise or lower for ground clearance depending on what you put in

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trailer already has the 2 5/16 ball. That is what I was thinking on the RV specs, I have seen some 14k lb axle toy haulers (RV) and didn't think they needed a cdl, so if it is just a covered car hauler, you would need a cdl? Mine has a small living area and is registered as an RV, so I should be good?

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
box/utility trailers in the same boat. a bed, sink, an a crapper makes it an rv:D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've seen your trailer, very nice indead, but about 1 foot too long for my driveway. Well I think, my mind is settled on the 7k axles.

What about tires, should I go with trailer tires or go for the more common LT tires, it seems some people swear by them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I've seen your trailer, very nice indead, but about 1 foot too long for my driveway. Well I think, my mind is settled on the 7k axles.

What about tires, should I go with trailer tires or go for the more common LT tires, it seems some people swear by them.
I went with trailer tires for obvious reasons (Maxxis M8008 E-rated). They're made for trailer use for a reason. This is an ongoing debate where people feel strongly about either type, there is no right answer.

Here's my take: If the trailer or camper doesn't get used much, maybe 2-3 times a year I'd go with trailer tires.

If the trailer is being used on a weekly basis I'd go with regular LT truck tires, or whatever is cheaper because they're going to wear out fast anyway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally finished swapping axles, I ended up with the flexride 7k lbs axles for a total of 14k lbs carrying capacity, not that I will ever go that high, but axles should last me forever. I got Greenball tires and Discount Tire wheels. Trailer ended up sitting 5" taller because of the bigger tires and wheels. Most people don't notice the huge axles, but when they do they trip out. The 16" 8 lug wheels make the trailer look more high end than the dinky 15" 5 lug white steel wheels. The trailer seems to tow fine plus the braking has improved with the bigger brakes and all.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts