Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at converting a Grand Vitara chassis to rear-engined for use under a Baja Karmann Ghia...it would have a VW diesel engine in the rear adapted to the Vitara trans and would be front-wheel-drive when in 2wd mode.
If I understand this right from my diagrams, can I simply swap the front and rear axles Would have to replace the IFS front axle with a solid axle, perhaps from a Sami) to make it run in the proper direction (and keep the steering axle in the front) or would I have to flip them as well? Will this cause any problems with oiling or running gears the wrong way?

·
Registered
654 Posts
You don’t flip them from front to rear, the get flipped in orientation to the diff, (low pinion becomes high pinion) Yes there will be oiling and strength issues as what ever OEM parts you use weren’t meant to run upside down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm looking at my diagram wrong, but it seems to me that if you take the rear axle off, rotate it 180 degrees and just move it to where the front end was and put a straight front axle off of say a Samurai where the rear axle used to be, the axles will turn in the opposite direction than they did before and the chassis will effectively be a rear-engine. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I am sure this is one of those pipe dream threads, but I will bite. Flip your axles right to left, rotate engine and transfer case 180 hook the front where the rear used to be and the rear where front used to be. Now you got rear engine. The better part of valor would be put the karma on the Suzuki frame using the trunk for the engine bay. If you have ever pulled a VW body no floor left, would be easy to fab.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
You don’t flip them from front to rear, the get flipped in orientation to the diff, (low pinion becomes high pinion) Yes there will be oiling and strength issues as what ever OEM parts you use weren’t meant to run upside down.
+1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts