Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i put my new shackles on (thanks fc187) and while i was at it i flipped my rear springs. i didnt mesure the wheelbase before but after the flip it is at 92 inches. now all i need is a drive shaft and i will have it back driving. and yes it is sitting on the ground not the lift.
<STRONG><IMG width=550 height=364 SRC="http://auburnextremeracing.com/drivers/justin/temp_j/Aug08$12.jpg"></STRONG>

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: 71-Cruiser ]
 

·
Discount!
Joined
·
4,539 Posts
Now you need to cut your rear fenders, cause it looks funny. <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> 92" does'nt sound right, it shoud be more like 93.5" unless you have a shackle reversal that you mounted the front hangers flush with the end of the frame, in which you'd have lost near 2" of wheel base.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,178 Posts
Cut those fenders and get BIGGER tires!! <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> Looks killer!! nice Cruiser. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope no shackle reversal. My mesurement may be off a little. as far as cutting the fenders goes i plan on doing it soon. Is there any problem with removing the fuel vapor canaster from the right rear wheel well when i cut the fenders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Where did you get the soft top, brand, etc? Is the lift a SO? Looks rear nice just stiin there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the top is a BestTop. it was on the truck when i bought it. it has 1 zipper left that still works but it is rarely on. The lift is 5 inch Alcans SUA with fc187 built shackles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,592 Posts
i off set drilled my center pin an inch n the rear but i may just flip the springs too and cut soem more, my wheel base is getting damn near 100, im liking it! jiMMy FJNOTCJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Is there a web site out there that details how to accomplish the task you just did?

My current drive shaft is a little too long so this spring flip would work out perfect for me.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,456 Posts
Originally posted by Pozi:
<STRONG>Is there a web site out there that details how to accomplish the task you just did?

My current drive shaft is a little too long so this spring flip would work out perfect for me.

Thanks</STRONG>
Little too long? <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"> Do you have the springs reversed already? If you dont and you reverse the springs it will make you longer not shorter. If you already have the springs reversed and want to make it back to stock all you do is take the spring off and put it back on with the long side of the spring towards the back. Watch out though, you will need a new driveline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Did you just turn the springs around and re-install, or did you flip the military wrap around and drill a spring?
I like the pic, it really gives you an idea of how far the axle gets moved back when you look at it with un-cut fenders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Originally posted by Erik Dlux:
<STRONG>Little too long? <IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"> Do you have the springs reversed already? If you dont and you reverse the springs it will make you longer not shorter. If you already have the springs reversed and want to make it back to stock all you do is take the spring off and put it back on with the long side of the spring towards the back. Watch out though, you will need a new driveline.</STRONG>
Well actually when I was a lot younger and not so wise I installed my Chev 327 and 4sp trans/xfer (previously 3sp) which I made the measurement for the driveline I had changed too long. DOH!

Thus by reversing the springs I'm hoping my long driveline will be perfect.

What is necessary in doing such? Is it just like reversing the fronts when doing the shackle reversal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,456 Posts
Originally posted by Pozi:
<STRONG>Well actually when I was a lot younger and not so wise I installed my Chev 327 and 4sp trans/xfer (previously 3sp) which I made the measurement for the driveline I had changed too long. DOH!

Thus by reversing the springs I'm hoping my long driveline will be perfect.

What is necessary in doing such? Is it just like reversing the fronts when doing the shackle reversal?</STRONG>
One side of the spring is longer then the other. You dont need to change the spring mounts or anything serious. All you do is take the spring off and put it on the reverse way. Some guys will take the pack apart and flip the top leaf and keep the rest the same way. Atleast thats how I understand it. I flipped mine without doing that and I am doing fine so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just removed them and flipped them so now my military wrap is on the shackle end. It is only a problem if you break a main leef in my understanding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,456 Posts
Originally posted by jsh:
<STRONG>try driving it.you will have more bounce than a basketball,better to leave it the way it was.</STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/confused.gif" border="0"> I dont have that problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
i don't have any bounce, just spring wrap, buy i'm running soa with the military clamps loosened all the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by jsh:
<STRONG>try driving it.you will have more bounce than a basketball,better to leave it the way it was.</STRONG>
it does bounce but only becaus i have no shocks front or rear.

i got my rear drive shaft back so she is back in working order. now i need to buy some shocks and get a CV drive shaft for the front and i will be good to go. At least for a little while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I know this is an old subject but I was just doing the rear spring swap on my right and ran into a couple problems I was hoping some of you that have done this can help me out with.

1 - The flexi brake line is to short for the axle to be moved back. Is it as easy as ordering a longer brake line? Sources?

2 - After you moved the axle back did the shocks mount up in the original locations? It seems to me that the mounting for the shock should be moved to the rear of the cross member rather than the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1) yes the rear brake hose has to be changed. Go to your local parts store and they should be able to cross refrence your hose to a longer one with the same fittings.

2) I curently dont have any shocks at all so it wasnt a problem for me but when i get mine i plan on relocating the top mounts to the rear of the cross member.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top