Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
debating axles for my 01 taco, but want to stay toyota. planning on flipping a mini axle to accomplish drivers drop. ifs hub setup should accomplish similar wms. worse comes to worse il put an ifs rear in. obviously know i need to spin knuckle balls, remove and retap top two and bottom two studs and spin front cover. am i forgetting anything??

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Fj60 front is 58" then Ifs hubs male up the diff. If going through all that why not got passenger drop and put the gear driven case in it? Opens up alot of cheaper options

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
debating axles for my 01 taco, but want to stay toyota. planning on flipping a mini axle to accomplish drivers drop. ifs hub setup should accomplish similar wms. worse comes to worse il put an ifs rear in. obviously know i need to spin knuckle balls, remove and retap top two and bottom two studs and spin front cover. am i forgetting anything??
is much easier to cut down a rear housing (to the width and offset you want) and put the balls on that, then get some custom length shafts from Bobby Long. way easier than changing your t-case IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fj60 front is 58" then Ifs hubs male up the diff. If going through all that why not got passenger drop and put the gear driven case in it? Opens up alot of cheaper options
assuming theres an adapter to bolt the gear driven case to the back of my taco tranny?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is much easier to cut down a rear housing (to the width and offset you want) and put the balls on that, then get some custom length shafts from Bobby Long. way easier than changing your t-case IMO.
ease and cost are two different ballgames:D especially when your a brokeass like myself

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you're a "brokeass" then just leave the IFS alone. any swap is going to cost money, and always more than you plan.
Ya this is about the truest statement here. I know from personal experience doing the toy in the front of mine with duals. Funny thing is almost all my parts are used and I still have double into it then what I originally planned:laughing:

·
W6FTW
3,820 Posts
My front axle is a flipped front. I jumped out it because at the time I was looking to do the swap, this axle came up. The price difference between this and the diamond steered me to get this.

To match the rear width, I'm running 4.5" BS wheels, 2" Wheel spacers plus a IFS widening kit. I know. It got the job done, but I am slready stashing money away for a wider front axle, expesically now that companies are machining knuckle ball ends...

To belp keep the fornt end in check, I added Hydro assist, ARP stubs, and the 25mm Marlin trunion bearing upgrade.

-P

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as cool as a flipped toy axle is, i think im gonna keep it as is run the old gear drive tcase with an adapter or even bolt a w tranny up, but am still interested to see any tech on this flip being done...anybody done it personally and have a writeup on it??

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Obviously you haven't tried searching. :shaking:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the input, i just picked up another 85 axle and am going to run the gear drive case behind my taco tranny. the options for upgrade outweigh the flipped axle coolness too much :grinpimp: still collecting parts right now but will def. post when progress is underway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts