Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking of flipping around my rockwell axle so the pinion will be on driver side instead.. and tierod in the back.. just turn the axle around then im set to go.. or i have to change the center chunk? i tried searching didnt find specific answer i was looking for..

lubing problem wont be affected? this rig will be only for wheeling will never see pavement..

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
yep you can flip the axle around and you can also rotate the 3rd around 180 deg also with a kit from USA6x6.com

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It is done all the time, no problem. The stock setup is 2* negitve castor, when you turn it around it is better, 2* postive castor. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i have to rotate the 3rd member 180 degree or i can just leave it the way it is..

sounds good about castor.. about the rear should i do the same??

im not having rear steer just stock rear...

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
dont worry about the chunk just turn the hole axle around
you will have to swap the knuckle's to keep the tie rod behind the axle
unless yours is allready swaped

·
Registered
889 Posts
is the caster built into the axle or the knuckle? appears to be the axle itself on mine... just curious if flipping the knuckles has any effect on caster. i know there's been some discussion on this regarding ackerman, but i've never seen a definitive answer...

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
the caster is built in to the spring pads
the negitive caster like stock will make it go down the road better
also help with self center

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so orginally rockwell axles have the tierod behind the axles? i thought they were orginally front of the axle..

so guess i have to switch around my knuckles if i want the 3rd member on driver side area and have tierod behind my axle.. am i correct here? im going to take whole thing apart sometime soon and put new rubber seal and protection like danvee did and weld the diffs get all old paint off and put on new one..

·
Registered
889 Posts
yes, stock they're tie rod behind the axle... mine is flipped also for drivers drop, but i'm undecided on running the tie rod in front of or behind the axle. my truck will still see a fair amount of street time, so road manners are important. as with other related threads, there's two conflicting views here...
The stock setup is 2* negitve castor, when you turn it around it is better, 2* postive castor.
the negitive caster like stock will make it go down the road better

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
If you use the stock tie rod, it must be behind the axle! Otherwise you get reverse ackerman(outside tire turns shaper than inside.) If you want the tie rod in front with good geometry you need to make new high steer arms.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i want to use stock tierod.. might flip it another way around that way it will be bit higher (tie rod ends mounted another way around.. i know i have to ream and stuff like that...) hopefully it wont bother the driveshaft.. im pretty sure there is lots of room... i guess i will turn around the axle and swap the knucles another way around..

thanks for the help

·
Registered
889 Posts
not sure what suspension/steering your running, but fyi it takes somewhat careful planning to incorporate links, steering ram if applicable, and tie rod all on the back of the axle.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
RufusTheRam said:
not sure what suspension/steering your running, but fyi it takes somewhat careful planning to incorporate links, steering ram if applicable, and tie rod all on the back of the axle.
Here is one example:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im planning on doing something like one link.. but double..

double wishbone is what some people call them.. that is my plans... but right now might will just use leafs and traction bar so i can use it for now to have fun wtih it till i have $$$ to build a buggy...

thanks for all info and im glad its simple to play around wtih rockwell axles :)

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
ASTAR said:
Hey CJ, how well does that suspension set-up work? I am looking at doing almost identical. Do you have a track bar too?
It worked great, but needed more vertical separation on the frame mounts...no trackbar.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
What are you guys paying for your hydro setups? I am sick of the pump to box and joint setup. I plan on hydroing these rockies I have but I dont want to get in over my head.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i plan to go through Station here on the board when i'm ready for mine... a few other companys offer complete kits as well though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have station stuff here but its not mine tho.. belongs to my buddy.. nice setup and its cheaper than i was expecting so talk to him for sure then

1 - 19 of 19 Posts