Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do rear FJ40 Old Man Emu springs have a centered pin? A buddy of mine called me and asked me if flipping his rear OME springs around would gain him some added wheelbase? I know this works with the stock springs but I don't know much about FJ40 springs. Anyone out there have a quick answer for him?

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Stock FJ40 springs are an off set center pin. So flipping them will net him 2.5" more wheel base.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I flipped my OMEs on my 40. It is the same as flipping stock springs, pretty much. It nets about 3.5" more WB though.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Regarding the spring filp &wheelbase

You actually gain close to 4" of wheel base in the rear.
Not so in the front. springpins are centered. As for the previous guy saying you'll have the arch and pinion angle to deal with that is true as well. but as long as you are only around 2" of lift you should be ok.

--Kruzertek

·
Registered
76 Posts
Flippin' OME springs

Howdy...... first post here.

So, If one was to flip the rear OME springs, would the (give or take a little) 3.5" rearward displacement of the axle require any lengthening of the driveshaft ? I'm '79 FJ40, SUA with the garden variety OME shocks, 33x12.5's, and cut-out rear wheel wells. :question:

Thanks,
John Sherwood, Upstate Cruisers

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Re: Flippin' OME springs

Sherwood said:
If one was to flip the rear OME springs, would the (give or take a little) 3.5" rearward displacement of the axle require any lengthening of the driveshaft ?
Welcome fricken newbie:flipoff2:

You will have to leangthn the shaft

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I tried this on my 60 with OME. The driveshaft wouldn't even connect. The axle actually pointed down at a freaky angle. I tried all kinds of things. I thought about redrilling and flipping them. Nothing seemed to practical. I only wanted to move my wheel back 1.5 to 2". What I should have done is redrilled my spring perches for the minimum amount I wanted to move. Why did I want to move it you may ask? Because 35s in SUA look weird as they aren't centered in the wheelwell.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Regarding the spring filp &wheelbase

kruzrtek said:
You actually gain close to 4" of wheel base in the rear.
Not so in the front. springpins are centered. --Kruzertek
:confused: both stock front and rear springs are almost the same, length and offset-wise AFAIK. Are OME different ? Why ?

Bye,

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Front and rear FJ40 Cruiser springs are offset identically, front and rear. In stock form/installation, the shorter half of the spring attaches to the solid mount spring hanger. Reverse the springs, and you've added 3.5" of wheelbase PER END....7" total potential.

OME and other aftermarket springs are longer, yet the pin is still offset the same percentage as stock springs. If you reverse aftermarket lift springs, you will achieve relatively the same results in wheelbase differences.

3.5" is the correct difference, per end.
NO FJ40 springs are centered. Centered springs are not stock in a FJ40.
YES, flipping packs requires longer driveshafts.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Agree with Woody, in fact my Ironman suspension lift used 4 identical springs the fronts and the rears were the same right down to the model number painted on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts