Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up my RE 5.5 LA on my TJ, and it would normally be a bolt on affair not worthy of mentioning here (still is kinda suspect), but we had to clearance my floorboards to fit my Atlas. A friend stopped by and we made quick work of it and it turned out pretty well.

The setup is an 01 TJ, 4.0L/5spd/Atlas with a 1" Daystar lift. The Atlas is clocked all the way up (7*) and I am currently using the stock trans mount cut per AA specs. It wouldn't fit clocked to 14* because it would hit the t-case skid.

Besides the shifters, it was only hitting right by the driver seat so we cut it open and reshaped it to give some extra space. Here's some pics.

We bent the flap up and then built a small patch piece out of 18ga to fill in the extra area. Now there is no gap between the seat frame and floorboard.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bet. Did a quick test drive in 2lo to make sure the t-case wouldn't smack the body on take off.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
JohnnyJ said:

The setup is an 01 TJ, 4.0L/5spd/Atlas with a 1" Daystar lift. The Atlas is clocked all the way up (7*) and I am currently using the stock trans mount cut per AA specs. It wouldn't fit clocked to 14* because it would hit the t-case skid.

Same set up I have except I am running taller MORE motor mounts and a poly tranny mount. I have mine clocked to 14° (second hole from flat) and have a lot of clearance between the tub and the skid. At least an inch from either.

Good work. Flame on question, how does that factory sub in the center console sound? :D

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Floorboard trim Atlas RE LA (Pics)

TDW said:

Same set up I have except I am running taller MORE motor mounts and a poly tranny mount. I have mine clocked to 14° (second hole from flat) and have a lot of clearance between the tub and the skid. At least an inch from either.

Good work. Flame on question, how does that factory sub in the center console sound? :D
Really? I forgot to mention that I have the More motor mounts too. I also swapped from my poly trans mount (prothane) back to the original stock rubber mount, I had it (the poly mount) on when I first put the skid up, but there wasn't enough room to clock it on my setup. weird.

Factory sub was worth it. It's not a bump-bump sub like a cerwin-vega or whatever, but makes the radio useful with the top down.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a follow up, I figured out that my stock trans mount was toast. It looked fine, but would allow a lot of twist. It got really bad when I was down at the Badlands.

I ended up reinstalling the poly trans mount and then clocked the t-case to 14 degrees and there is plenty of room between the case and floor and also between case and skid. Thanks to TDW for the tip.

So that makes at least two TJs with 4.0/5spd/Atlas with RE LA, More 1" motor mounts, 1" body lift, and poly trans mount working the case at 14 degrees.

·
Registered
622 Posts
make that 3, i have the exact same setup (6cyl,ax-15,RE LA, 1" MM, 1" BL) and have it at 14degrees with out any cutting of the tup for atlas clearence, i just cut for the shifters.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm installing a 4500/Atlas in my TJ with a bellyup skidplate. I'm thinking i'll have major surgery on the floorboard.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make that 4 TJ's. 4.0/AX15/6"RELA/1"BL/1"MML/Poly trans mount. Installed my new ATLAS 5.0 a couple weeks ago, 14* and perfect fit:) Thanks to TDW for his prior advice.

Now if I could just finish up my fullwidth swap I will be able to test it out to make sure. Almost there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
hey whats your driveshaft and pinion angle looking like, i know i lengthin my rear to 19 3/4, and have my pinion angle about 25-26*. just courious whats all yours like.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Got4wd- I am finishing up installing a fullwidth HP60 in the rear along with the already installed Atlas 5.0. Pushed my wheelbase out a little to 97.5" and my pinion angle is about 19*.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts