Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting a flawmaster on tommorrow and I dont know which sounds the best on a sammi for example a 1 chamber 2 chamber or 3 chamber..... I have a thorley and a 2-1/2 hi flow cat and 2" all the way out with a generic no noise muffler I heard a zuki with a flowmaster on it and the same basic setup as i have and it sounded like a honda on crack ,nasty little snarly-kinda like a pissed off bumble bee inside a beer can) but when i asked the guy he didnt know what he had so since i dont know any mod# for flowmaster i am just going with a ballpark figure of 1-2-3 chambers

UPDATE: i looked at the flowmaster site and i think i need a 40 series anybody running one of these???

thanks

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
A customer put a 1 chamber on his honda civic and it sounded like a cross between a F1 race car with straight cut gears going by & a pissed mosquito.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
This subject was talked about recently. I have a 2 1/4" 2 chamber with no cat and sounds like what you talk about (too loud). I either need a 3 chamber or I'll probably just put my cat back on (cheaper). My EFI runs to rich without the cat anyway but does run better on the highway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
loud isnt good

if you value your hearing go with a qiuet exaust because over the years stuff like this will take your hearing away even though it sounds tough.......

imagine haveing a ringing in both ears 24/7 imagine 60-70 percent hearing loss by the time your 40 .......

go easy on your ears you only get one pair and they have to last the rest of your life..........

i dont want too lecture any body and your gonna do what you want but loud does chip away at your hearing and it happens so slowly you dont even notice it ........

·
Registered
238 Posts
I heard a Zuk at the Badlands with a Flowmaster that sounded sweet, not too loud or ricey :) i thought for sure the guy had swapped in a non zuk motor, but he had a 1.3. He had no idea what series or chamber though :( Someone here's gotta have one.....I want one

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
ZuksRule said:
I heard a Zuk at the Badlands with a Flowmaster that sounded sweet, not too loud or ricey :) i thought for sure the guy had swapped in a non zuk motor, but he had a 1.3. He had no idea what series or chamber though :( Someone here's gotta have one.....I want one
I used to have the 2 chamber on my rig....magna flow is much better:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Flowmasters are NOT performance mufflers, they are chambered for SOUND. For example, my Trans Am runs a Borla catback system and another buddy of mine runs Flow catback, I put out over 15 more HP than did he after the install. Both were 3 inch pipe into a single muffler. Flow's are baffled inside to provide "that distinctive Flowmaster sound" but are not a straight through design like almost every other muffler out there. Go with a stainless one too, something like Magnaflow and Edelbrock if you are doing this for better flow. If not, maybe the Flow is for you? They are also now available in stainless too.
Just my advice...

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm betting a straight though like a maganflow will be rice city on a 1.3. They sound great on a 4.3, but I tried one on my 3.5L Trooper and was "fartin' in a tin can" .

The turbo style mufflers sound good on Zuk engines. One of my customers put a 40 series flowmaster in a Nissan Xterra, I told him he was gonna hate it. Suprisingly it sounds great, just a little sportier and nastier than stock, but not loud at all.

I think I'm gonna try a 40 series one of these days just for shits and grins.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: loud isnt good

rabidray said:
if you value your hearing go with a qiuet exaust because over the years stuff like this will take your hearing away even though it sounds tough.......

imagine haveing a ringing in both ears 24/7 imagine 60-70 percent hearing loss by the time your 40 .......

go easy on your ears you only get one pair and they have to last the rest of your life..........

i dont want too lecture any body and your gonna do what you want but loud does chip away at your hearing and it happens so slowly you dont even notice it ........
i left 30% of my hearing in the gulf in 1991

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Donald_R said:
Jim C,
Whats the matter with the new muffler system I saw you had last month?
just getting bored with quiet, no radio, loud tires and I can hear my valves need to be adjusted and i dont feel like playing with the rinky dink valve cover gasket ends sliding since i dont have any more clothes pins to hold it to the cover while it sets up the silicone lazy lazy but i am working again so i have an excuse for being tired

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got a 40 series and retained my 2" tailpipe it sounds mellow but it lets me notice how crappy it is running:flipoff2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a flowmaster on my zuk with 2" pipe all the way out. I like th eway it sounds, kinda throaty for a 4cyl. I think it's a 2 or 3 chamber, but I'm not sure. One of my friends found it in a dumpster.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
My zuk has a stock 1.3 with stock manifold and 2 1/4" all the way out with a stock replcement cat(?) and a magnaflow turbo style muffler. It isn't loud and doesn't sound stupid either. Just right I'd say (at least for a 4 banger).
Travis..

·
Registered
262 Posts
just getting bored with quiet, no radio, loud tires and I can hear my valves need to be adjusted and i dont feel like playing
Hmmmm, I may need a new muffler and pipe, lets talk offline. I can swap you. Sadly all I have are green pictures of dead presidents from my limited collection.

Stop by, check out my new old 1951 vintage Iron, They dont make that way anymore, real steel, no plastic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts