Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the use of a "bear bag" is necessary when camping on the Rubicon? I haven't read anything about food storage anywhere as of yet.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
If you have one, it's not a bad idea. We used to get hit every year when we camped at Spider or Loon Lake. Man, do we have some GREAT bear stories:smokin:

That being said, I haven't heard of any problems the past couple of years but they're still out there ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise Mark, I appreciate it. Hopefully I WON'T have a great bear story to tell after my trip.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Thanks for the advise Mark, I appreciate it. Hopefully I WON'T have a great bear story to tell after my trip.

If you every get to meet Manic, ask him his bear story :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
344 Posts
in general bears hate human noise, music, engines, etc - unless desperate or you are directly in their path to food or water, they will try an avoid you, with all that said - the more you make the food less availabel the less likely you will attract a bear. My parents cabin at Tahoe in Brockway by the dumpsters, they will come right in at daylight and pretend youre not even there, I had one jump out of the dumpster and scare the trousers off of me one evening - the more remote and with less people you camp with the more you may become in contact - I havent seen any at Loon, but I have on Tahoma side. Air horn does the trick to spook them 85% of the time.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Bears have been OK at loon last couple years it seems a few years ago they were REALLY REALLY out there and loud and kept you up at nice banging around the trash.

Don't be messy and you`ll be fine.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I had SEVERAL bear issues but...

NONE on the trail ;)

Staying in cabins in tahoe I got hit, bears are fearless there. On the trail I have seen them but they have never touched my food.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Don't be messy and you`ll be fine.
My rule of thumb is to keep a cleaner camp than the nearest neighbor, and double-bag the doggy kibble.

So far, so good... I've seen more than a few, but they haven't decided to visit up close and personal. :homer:

Randii

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm looking forward to this weekends trip. I appreciate everyone's input and assistance. Hope to see ya on da trail. I'm heading out early tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Actually the only time I've had any contact or at least heard them around spider/little sluice, seems to be on Sunday nights or Monday mornings..... I wonder why that would be :shaking:

Big

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
My only bear encounter was a young one in 1990 at the Springs. He climbed in my jeep, opened a flip lid box and stole my sour dough bread for the week.

That night, we left our Maui rib bones in a pile, slathered them in pepper and put about 30 empty beer cans around it. We called it, Yogi's Plate Of Death. Laughed a lot, but he never came back.

·
Vendor
1,956 Posts
we used to get visited by the bears every now and then. they'd get into coolers/food boxes, and take all the sweets they could. he liked cookies :)

One visited again last year, not too much damage though. They are around, but overall I have had very few encounters considering the number of times i've been up there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Perhaps a dumb question, should we be hanging food? We went up to El Dorado a few weeks ago on 2 wheels and set up a pulley between trees to hang our food, and the rangers confirmed that this was a good idea.

How about he veterans, a good idea?

Also as an FYI the rangers said they loan out for free bear proof "boxes" for use and you just need to leave something to ensure the return of the box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do what you choose to do but here is a trail suggestion. Get a small spray bottle and fill it with straight ammonia....... before hitting the sack or leaving camp spray it on and around your food box, ice chest , etc...........

Bears don't like it !

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Do what you choose to do but here is a trail suggestion. Get a small spray bottle and fill it with straight ammonia....... before hitting the sack or leaving camp spray it on and around your food box, ice chest , etc...........

Bears don't like it !
Another good option is Cayenne Pepper, sprinkle it on anything that might have a scent.

Mothballs works in Alaska I hear.

Last but not least, some bears recognize coolers.
So if you cover them & ad the smelly stuff it helps.

Also stacking your pots & pans on top of food containers so they fall off if touched is good.
It will startle them for the moment, & wake some folks up (depending on how they sleep).

·
Registered
768 Posts
I always make a point of not leaving any food in my Jeep at night. If they come and want the food then so be it, but just don't tear up my ride in the process. So the cooler and all the other food is outta there. I usually just put all a few feet away next to a tree or something.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just be smart about it-dont leave food in your car and you should be fine. I have never had problems with them(i have seen them there), but i always clean up my stuff so they dont come in my camp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts