Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious if anyone had an official repair manual for a 22r, i bought a haynes but it sucks, there are only select exploded pics of parts not all. can anyone help a beginner?!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
check on ebay. you can find them there from time to time...usual price is around $30 for a factory manual. an '82 manual will probably even be close enough for your truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking thanks

i have some tough thick grease and dirst that has collected on the bottom of my 83 and was wondering what i should do about it. it makes it very difficult to get to important mechanisms. could this be oil run off?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If its really bad near the front of the motor, it could be just the front crank oil seal. A common, easily repairable problem on the 22R's.

Ya, try ebay for a manual. I got one for my 80 for $15, IIRC....

Where about in upstate are you?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
what areas? if it's on the front axle it's usually diff pudding, which is grease and gear oil that's leaked out of the knuckles. i'd rebuild the front, it's messy but not too hard

might try some kind of engine cleaner to get at things, carb cleaner's always worked for me

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
If it's really bad underneath, put your grubbies on and go to the hi-pressure car wash and spend 5 or 6 bucks sprayin' till you see metal.

·
Registered
315 Posts
cleaning

Just be carefull of getting too much water inside of the components if they are leaking real bad. Might want to change ALL the fluids after you clean it up. (axles, tranny, xfer case, oil & filter,coolant, brake fluid, and power steering). Give it a tune up and new air filter and it should be good to go for a while. Have fun!

Jeff

·
Registered
392 Posts
1983 if you are interested in joining a wheeling club you might check out
http://ncor4x4.4t.com/
We meet in Amsterdam. There are a couple of toys in the club.
Check your frame, at the front mount for the rear
springs, on the inside. Is it rusted through?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts