Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to go full width, i was thinking about going 8 lug because i got a good line on a rear 70, but then a front axel would be harder to get a hold of so i decided on 6 lug. i am thinking about going just a 6 lug 44 in the front but then dont know what to run in the rear? what are your suggestions and whats your experience with them. good and bad.

right now the only options i know of are 44, 10 bolt and 12 bolt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A D44 seems to be the way to go in front, I finished mine a while back with relative ease and it has worked out great but I wanted to keep the six lug pattern all the way around the best solution I found for a beefy rear was a light duty 3/4 ton chevy rear, basically a 14bolt with a 9.5" ring gear and six lug pattern. The only diff is the fact that the ring is smaller and it is a C-clip axle. Stay away from the 12 bolt, gear ratios are hell to find for those things!

My suggestion is to either go all 8lug or all 6.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yota Krawler said:
i want to go full width, i was thinking about going 8 lug because i got a good line on a rear 70, but then a front axel would be harder to get a hold of so i decided on 6 lug. i am thinking about going just a 6 lug 44 in the front but then dont know what to run in the rear? what are your suggestions and whats your experience with them. good and bad.

right now the only options i know of are 44, 10 bolt and 12 bolt.
you can get custom shafts for your rear that have 6 lug on them.

I have a 12 bolt in my toy and had no probs finding gear ratios. I had to change out carrier and run 4:56s..

·
Registered
996 Posts
How about a T100 axle? 60" I think

·
Registered
994 Posts
rEdNEcKwHeE1eR said:
How about a T100 axle? 60" I think
good luck finding one.... Thats what I wanted to do, I just whent with a 12 bolt 44 combo....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
toymoto said:
A D44 seems to be the way to go in front, I finished mine a while back with relative ease and it has worked out great but I wanted to keep the six lug pattern all the way around the best solution I found for a beefy rear was a light duty 3/4 ton chevy rear, basically a 14bolt with a 9.5" ring gear and six lug pattern. The only diff is the fact that the ring is smaller and it is a C-clip axle. Stay away from the 12 bolt, gear ratios are hell to find for those things!

My suggestion is to either go all 8lug or all 6.
How can you say gears ratio's are hard to find for a 12 bolt? Most places I called about gears and lockers had either4:56's, 4:88's or 5:13's in stock and several different lockers ready to go. The only real down fall to a 12 bolt is the C-clips. Your suggesting a C-clip axle so I take it C-clips don't bother you.

Back to the topic.....

I'm gonna run a 12 bolt with my Dana 44 front. I wanted to run a 44 and 9" combo but I got both axles for $100.00 so I decided to go with it. Alot of people don't like 12 bolts cuz the C-clips but from my experience the 12 bolt is a pretty good rear. I know there's better but the price was right and it's a decent rear so I'll go with it.

I know several guy's with fullsize Blazers on 36's and 38's running 12 bolts with no trouble. Some of these guy's are real hard on the skinny pedal pushing real healthy small blocks. They work for them so I figure my little Toyota with a no horsepower 22r should be O.K.

Some guy's say the C-clips fall out and let your axles fly out. Well this can happen but think about it. You hear about 2 or 3 guy's that had this happen but how many thousands of C-clip axles never do this. It's just like saying the Toyota front axle ain't any good cuz the birf's,well get a set of longs and it's good right. Get a C-clip eliminator kit and it can be good. Just my opinion

O.K. I'm out of breath now I'll stop.
:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
raptorman57 said:

How can you say gears ratio's are hard to find for a 12 bolt? Most places I called about gears and lockers had either4:56's, 4:88's or 5:13's in stock and several different lockers ready to go. The only real down fall to a 12 bolt is the C-clips. Your suggesting a C-clip axle so I take it C-clips don't bother you.

Back to the topic.....

I'm gonna run a 12 bolt with my Dana 44 front. I wanted to run a 44 and 9" combo but I got both axles for $100.00 so I decided to go with it. Alot of people don't like 12 bolts cuz the C-clips but from my experience the 12 bolt is a pretty good rear. I know there's better but the price was right and it's a decent rear so I'll go with it.

I know several guy's with fullsize Blazers on 36's and 38's running 12 bolts with no trouble. Some of these guy's are real hard on the skinny pedal pushing real healthy small blocks. They work for them so I figure my little Toyota with a no horsepower 22r should be O.K.

Some guy's say the C-clips fall out and let your axles fly out. Well this can happen but think about it. You hear about 2 or 3 guy's that had this happen but how many thousands of C-clip axles never do this. It's just like saying the Toyota front axle ain't any good cuz the birf's,well get a set of longs and it's good right. Get a C-clip eliminator kit and it can be good. Just my opinion

O.K. I'm out of breath now I'll stop.
:D

I didn't know you felt so strong about this issue:eek:

But I back up everything you sead.... :D

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
T100 is about 66". they can be found. just be patient and keep a close eye out. why only T100? look for tundras. same axle and there are going to be some of those showing up in boneyards as people wreck them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
convertiyota said:
I ran a 12 bolt with 39s pretty hard for about 6 months and never had any problems. I welded it as well.
To add to that I run a 350 in my toy with a 70:1 crawl ratio and 35" SXs and havent broke my 12 bolt yet and I am not light on the skinny pedal either...

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
8 lug D44's are not that hard to find. just lurk for a bit on coloradok5.com or other FS haunts.

conversion parts are about $300 or so.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
zakk said:
8 lug D44's are not that hard to find. just lurk for a bit on coloradok5.com or other FS haunts.

conversion parts are about $300 or so.
or a 10 bolt 8 lug front. if you have a line on a 70 rear just go with it.

i got one for free..........made the $$$$$$$$$$ for the 60 front not hurt so much.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
larryboy said:

or a 10 bolt 8 lug front. if you have a line on a 70 rear just go with it.

i got one for free..........made the $$$$$$$$$$ for the 60 front not hurt so much.
true, but if you wanted to run 6.13's or stuff that high, *i think* they make them for a D44.

I can only go to a 5.13 as i have a 14BFF, but if you could run a D44 8-lug and a D70 rear, you could *i think* run up to 7.17 but i don't want to know how puny that pinion will be on the D44:eek:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
zakk said:

true, but if you wanted to run 6.13's or stuff that high, *i think* they make them for a D44.

I can only go to a 5.13 as i have a 14BFF, but if you could run a D44 8-lug and a D70 rear, you could *i think* run up to 7.17 but i don't want to know how puny that pinion will be on the D44:eek:
wasn't thinking gear ratios. was thinking cheap/free (10 bolt).
i can't justify building a 44 in my mind........unless it was free.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
larryboy said:

wasn't thinking gear ratios. was thinking cheap/free (10 bolt).
i can't justify building a 44 in my mind........unless it was free.
that's true. alot of FS guys give away 10B's and those seem to live pretty well in the lighter Toy rigs.

But even D44's can be had pretty cheap...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, thanks for all the insite. i basically got 2 options inside my head right now, 44 and 12 bolt or hd44 and FF70. i'd personally like to go with an HD44 and 70 and run 5.89's. os i think i might look around and see what i can get my dirty little hands on. but i know i can get ahold of a 44 and 12 bolt pretty quick at a bone yard. anyways, keep the info coming so i can lean more-so towards one side or the other. i'm looking for your opinions on what you run! :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I might try a little taller gear. 5:89's will have a real small pinion and would break alot easier. The lowest I would personally go is 4:88's. I figure if a guy needs any lower than that,that's what a crawl box is for.

Not sure on the tooth count but 5:13's might be a little bigger than 5:89's. Alot of guy's run 5:13's will good results and are close to 5:29's for the Toy axles. Personally though I'll never go lower than 4:88's,thats why I bought a dual x-case set up.

Just something to think about.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
I agree. the 5.89's in a D44 would be suspect. but with 5.13's you could go with the cheaper D44/12B combo, but I realy don't like c-clips, but that is me.

IMVHO, if you are going to do the upgrage, go as big as you can. I made the mistake of not doing what i wanted to in the first place and all it does it add cost and frustration.

I'd go D44/D70 with 5.13's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts