Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions that I was unable to find through a search. My buddy and I are going to swap a front axle out of a 85 into a 91. We will be using the stock springs, I was just wondering if the steering of the 85 will work with the stock IFS steering box or if we will have to go with a whole new steering setup.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You will have to use a cross over type steering , shop around , do a search on crossover . good prices to be had

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Boy, there are alot of different ways you can go about it. Scince you already have the IFS Power Steering box you at least have to go with Crossover and in order to do that you need to change/fabricate or modify passenger side steering arm to a Y arm that accepts Dragink and Tierod and you can cut the J arm off of the other side. My sug. would be to buy new arms and go highsteer while your at it.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Don't waste your time with stock springs either. NOW is the time to use the springs that you will want to down the road (and build accordingly), instead of being forced to redo everything or use some "other" spring because you used stockers the first time.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
wetmuskrat said:
I have some questions that I was unable to find through a search. My buddy and I are going to swap a front axle out of a 85 into a 91. We will be using the stock springs, I was just wondering if the steering of the 85 will work with the stock IFS steering box or if we will have to go with a whole new steering setup.
Also with questions like these, you are in way over your head at this point. Take your time, search "SAS" ask specific questions in the newbie forum and do some learning before you start this.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Wilson said:
Don't waste your time with stock springs either. NOW is the time to use the springs that you will want to down the road (and build accordingly), instead of being forced to redo everything or use some "other" spring because you used stockers the first time.

I agree with Wilson on this. Get the springs you want and build to them. As far as steering goes you could go hysteer or crossover but it's mainly preference. I would go hysteer myself.

·
Registered
986 Posts
why would you do a sas and run stock springs that are odviously reverse arc. i don't even think crossover will work with that, to run hysteer you need around 4" of lift minimum. so time to do a re-search. try waggys, chevies, sas, allpro. 44044, :p

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also with questions like these, you are in way over your head at this point.
Hmmm... when you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to remember that you just wanted to drain the swamp.

Good advice from all here... look at some of the write-ups on the some other sites, and don't get in over your head.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
go hysteer its your best bet...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts