Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I am about to upgrade my junk alternator in my 1990 YJ with the 2.5L to a Powermaster 140amp unit (what are the opinions of these bad boys)?

I am planning on upgrading the alternator to run a power inverter for when i go camping and such. I was thinking of the Coleman 1000watt version.

I was wondering what others are running and what alternator they are using and what kind of appliances they are running?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Run a vector 700 watt available at Target for less than $100.

No appliances, but it'll run a drill, grinder, and other hand tools just fine.

Running a "180 AMP" cheapo alternator from E-bay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
stock yj alt
600 watt inverter
drills grinders lights tv etc.
very handy to have

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Stock XJ alt and I have a Vector 750 Watt inverter. So far it's mainly done :blender: duty but has run a 4" angle grinder as well.

Jes

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have been using a Powermaster 140 amp alt for a couple of years now and had no problems.
Its a 1 wire alt and you have to blip the throttle when the engine first starts to get the alt to charge (excite the field).
The alt had a tag attached to it that said that the alt was capable of 160 amps at 3000 rpm.

I have two yellow tops, winch, compressor, sterio, and spot lights. I use a Coleman 1400 watt inverter for any AC requirements.
With the optimas, high output alt, and all the accessories on, I can winch and still not zap the batteries.
I like it!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeeplvr said:
I have been using a Powermaster 140 amp alt for a couple of years now and had no problems.
Its a 1 wire alt and you have to blip the throttle when the engine first starts to get the alt to charge (excite the field).
The alt had a tag attached to it that said that the alt was capable of 160 amps at 3000 rpm.

I have two yellow tops, winch, compressor, sterio, and spot lights. I use a Coleman 1400 watt inverter for any AC requirements.
With the optimas, high output alt, and all the accessories on, I can winch and still not zap the batteries.
I like it!
Awesome! That is the info i needed!

Minus the dual batteries, that is the setup i plan on

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts