Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So those of you who had a FZJ-80 and now run a 4Runner SAS or IFS .....

1. Do you feel there is a big difference in stability on 35s between the two trucks?

2. Do you feel the added body width of an FZJ-80 is a problem / restrictive on trails?

3. Do you miss the lighter weight and smaller body?

If it was not your DD what would you build?

·
Registered
121 Posts
well i have owned several first gen 4runners and love them. my mom has an fj80 which i have had on the trails before as well. i dont know what kind of 44runner your comparing it to but for me it was night and day. of course a first gen runner w/ bigger tires and a clean stock fj80 w/ running boards aren't anywhere in the same class. it sucked having to be careful just to watch for limbs and stuff b/c the paint was so clean. anyway i think the biggest draw back to the cruiser was its size. the thing is huge. to wide to fit most places and the rear end drags on everything. did feel much more stable off camber though, b/c the width i suppose, but it may have been more mental than practical. the land cruiser did have one big advantage though, power. anyway, my uncle has a 95 runner and a 94 cruiser (i assume your talking about the vehicles in your sig) and seems to love them both. they are both mildly lifted, running 33's i think. im sure either one would be great to build, they both have their goods and bads. good luck.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I own a 92 4runner, and most of my buddies have $$$$fzj80s$$$$$$, They have to make ten point turns in most wooded sections, and they cost a fortune, also most of the parts for it cost a fortune as well. However, they are awesome, if you have the room to play and the money to pay. I will not be giving up my 4runner.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I had a 4Runner and now have an FJ80. I like like it. Very comfy inside and nice to drive as a daily driver. It's about 1000 lbs over a 4runner. It was easy to install a 3" lift and then be able to run 35" tires. Electric locking diff are nice but this rig won't do as well on hard trails, it's just a different rig for a different perpose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris -Cool pic, where was that? what trail?

what lift are you running to get those 35 bfgs under it?

Do you think the 80 could do the same trails your 93 Runner did ?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Honestly I have not yet pushed the 80 to really see what it can do, but even fully built I don't think it hang with the 93 4Runner. Andy Widner has built the front bumper and nerfs. Should have the rear bumper done soon! I will say the 4Runner received much much more work than the 80.

Out of the box the 80 was more capable than the 4Runner was. The 80 comes with solid axles front and rear on coils! It's also got electric lockers from the factory.

I added a 3" lift (J springs) and matching shocks, longer brake lines, 4.88 R&P gears. I removed the fiberglass fenders and flaps. The 35" tires went right on.

I don't think it will climb the first waterfall on Sledge Hammer unassisted like the 4Runner did or white knuckle hill in Moab. It's 4" wider in the body and much heavier. But that's what the buggie is for right?

Makes a nice daily driver and comfy wheeler for medium trails. The photo above was taken at the end of Outer Limits in Johnson Valley.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Chris, just keep building it bigger, if you can't go around just go over. I see the 80 guys on the con every year with pretty mild setups, and they do good. You still have the buggy to bash if you feal the need.
By the way, good job on keepin "the man" on track. He's sounded better lately than he has in a long time.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
FIREBALL said:
Chris, just keep building it bigger, if you can't go around just go over. I see the 80 guys on the con every year with pretty mild setups, and they do good. You still have the buggy to bash if you feal the need.
By the way, good job on keepin "the man" on track. He's sounded better lately than he has in a long time.
I wanted to join the 80's on the con this year but did not have the armor finished. Maybe next year!

Marlin left the shop at 5PM today! He's sleeping at night and has a much better outlook on life!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If your 80 made it through Outer Limits unscathed, I would say it is good for more than just "medium" runs, unless my perception of what is "medium" is way off! I consider Outer Limits to be an "extremely difficult" trail.

Kurt G.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts