Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85' and about to do the spray in on the floors. My question is about the sound deadener in the front floor boards....Have you all been removing this or spraying over the top? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
are you talking about the black stuff that is pretty much one with the floor board? i had that on the front floor of my land rover and i removed it before i sprayed the floor. i wire wheeled most of it, then cleaned the rest off with carb cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
It will chisel right off with a flat head screwdriver (if you don't have a chisel), and a couple of whacks with a hammer. I've even heard of people just hitting it with the hammer, and the deflection of the floor was enough to break it apart.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was gonna do the samething in my 85 runner and was wondering about that to. I figure I was just gonna scrape it out with a putty knife or something along those lines. What kinda spray on ya gonna go with??

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got that Raptor Liner UPOL kit that you do yourself. I did it to a friends truck a year or so ago and it has held up real good for him. It looks like a professional job if you do it right. MUCH better than Herculiner!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got that Raptor Liner UPOL kit that you do yourself. I did it to a friends truck a year or so ago and it has held up real good for him. It looks like a professional job if you do it right. MUCH better than Herculiner!
never heard of raptor liner, I will have to look into that and see if anyone in Hawaii carries it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i did it in my 84 truck cold weather and a air chisel works tits took about 10 mins as far it getting louder i think not.... if any it killed some of the motor sound

·
Registered
145 Posts
dry ice and the air chisel make it about a 5 miute job, with just the dry ice and a screw driver or chisel its about 15 min

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I got about 30% of it out that was loose, the rest was adhered really well so I left it and sprayed heavily over those areas. Used a thermal sound barrier material over the areas that came up and it's sticking really well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
x2 i also used raptor liner and it is much better than herculiner, its a finer grain and looks much better, try it:smokin:

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
x2 i also used raptor liner and it is much better than herculiner, its a finer grain and looks much better, try it:smokin:
how thick is it? have you tested it yet? i just might consider this, i've done the herculiner on my old rig and liked it, except for the bloody knuckle factor.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
How does the raptor stuff compare for noise and heat insulation to carpet? I thought about doing that my sami and to an old cummins powered rig I was looking at but wasn't sure if it would make me go deaf or not...

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
You mean that plastic shit that spatters in your face when you hit it with a wire wheel? I ended up leaving mine in, then I just primed/painted everything and put some floormats in. I'm happy with it, and it seems like it'd be easier to clean than the porous bedliner material. I have low standards, however...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I removed mine with a bag of regular ice . I just set the bag of ice on top for a few minutes then knock them off with flat screw driver

1 - 20 of 22 Posts