Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've researched and read recommendations about wire size, etc., when relocating a battery (I'm moving a single battery to the rear of my truck) - so I'm wondering....

For those who have done this, how is your set up working - did you make any changes after first relocating the battery, did you have any problems associated with the relocation and how did you fix them?

I'm moving the battery about 10' to the rear of the truck (front no longer has room).

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
both are back there, 900 CCA yellow tops. think I ran some 1 guage as the main line. 200 amp alt up front to charge everything with out issues. Winched heavly with a 12k warn with out issues.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
i used 1/0 welding wire and never had a problem.

when i do it again i will use on of these guys from 12voltguy.com aka seabass44 to make things simpler and cleaner to power devices under the hood instead of running wire to the back of the rig.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
I've had the battery in the rear of mine for a while, I used 1/0 welding cable. No problems.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used 1/0 welding wire and never had a problem.

when i do it again i will use on of these guys from 12voltguy.com aka seabass44 to make things simpler and cleaner to power devices under the hood instead of running wire to the back of the rig.

Thanks, that's one issue I hadn't considered.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I run 10' of 2/0 welding cable to the back.

It runs to a HD marine switch, simple on/off. Everything comes from this switch, including the winch, except for one small wire for the TBI computer memory (which i just take off the batt side of the switch).

Very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
For you guys with rear mounted batteries and GM 3 wire alternators...where are you sensing your charging voltage at for the alternator? Are you just tying it in to the positive post on the back of the alternator or are you using the remote sensing ability to go all the way back to the battery? I'm just curious if some of the voltage drop through the wiring (and there will be...I don't care how big your cables are or how much solder you used) could be overcome by actually making use of the remote sensing.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I use the sensing wire at the distribution block under the "dash" where the fans and gauges all pull their power from, that way voltage drops from the fans will be seen by the alt.

·
Registered
707 Posts
For you guys with rear mounted batteries and GM 3 wire alternators...where are you sensing your charging voltage at for the alternator? Are you just tying it in to the positive post on the back of the alternator or are you using the remote sensing ability to go all the way back to the battery? I'm just curious if some of the voltage drop through the wiring (and there will be...I don't care how big your cables are or how much solder you used) could be overcome by actually making use of the remote sensing.
I run 2 gauge from my gen 3 alternator to my factory distribution block on the firewall of my CUCV. Then from the block I run about 8-10 foot of 2/0 welding cable. Works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts