Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on dropping in a LQ4/SM465/NP241C into my TJ. I have all the drivetrain componenets, just waiting for some warmer weather to tear into it. What i'm looking for is anyone who has this tranny in their Tj's and how you had to modify the tunnel and/or bend the shifter to get it to fit. From my calculations (assuming I get the new motor in approximately the same location as my 4L), the SM465 shifter will be approx. 7" further forward than my current nv3550.

Just looking for ideas/suggestions at this point. Pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also of interest would be how you set up your clutch (i.e. did you use the TJ master cylinder or what).

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Do you have a hydro bellhousing for the 465? Or are you using the manual linkage?

I put a 350/465/205 combo in a cj and the shifter came out the same hole as the stock tranny shifter did.

I don't know how much different the tj tunnels are from the cj's though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a hydro bellhousing for the 465? Or are you using the manual linkage?

I put a 350/465/205 combo in a cj and the shifter came out the same hole as the stock tranny shifter did.

I don't know how much different the tj tunnels are from the cj's though.
I have the hydro bellhousing, just ordered the conversion kit from Advance.

CJ's used a different motor, different tranny, and different tub than the TJ's......they don't have much in common other than the round healights.. :D

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
TJ tranny shifters are situation towards the back of the transmission. with a SM 465 its obviously located much farther foward. I had to bend my T-18 shift handle using the heat from a cutting torch to fit in my YJ so it wasn't hitting the dash in 1st gear. You can also cut a few inches off the top of the shift handle and weld on a new threaded stud to shorten the throw of the shifter. A SM465 handle is gonna be sticking way higher then a stock shifter.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I just put this transmission in my YJ behind a 5.7 Chevy Vortec motor. The transmission sits forward several inches. You will have to heat the shifter with a torch and bend it. You will also have to cut a few inches off the front of your tunnel to get it to fit and fab up a new cover. I wanted the motor up high and I didn't want to run cross member spacers so I had to run a 2" body lift with this setup.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff, thanks for the info guys.

On another note, what are you guys using for a master cylinder/hydraulic clutch setup.

I've got the conversion package on the way from Advance Adapters that has a new flywheel, and all the clutch parts. They told me to go with the stock clutch fork, and slave cylinder from a truck with the SM465, but weren't sure on the master cylinder.

I'd like to keep my TJ master cylinder but not sure if it will give me the proper fluid volume to work with the chevy slave cylinder.

Any ideas??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts