Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was just wondering if any of you guys would be willing to give me a short and technical description of turbos for a dummy? like fuel control and wastegates and all the other turbo related trickery? is fuel added per the amount of boost and is the amount of airflow measured by a high flow mass air meter and that tells the ecm to add fuel or what? any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
waste gates bleed off exhaust to keep the turbos from overrevving and giving the engine too much boost..

gm turbos have a turbo boost multiplier that tells the ecm to inject extra fuel under boost conditions..

i think you need to check out here
www.howstuffworks.com
search for turbochargers
read
learn the basics

:flipoff2: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
waste gates bleed off exhaust to keep the turbos from overrevving and destroying themselves..

gm turbos have a turbo boost multiplier that tells the ecm to inject extra fuel under boost conditions..

:flipoff2: :rolleyes:
Wastegates keep the turbo from OVERBOOSTING and destroying the engine. I've never heard of a "turbo boost miltiplier" though, is that like a hyper drive.

cheROCKee , You want someone to explain fuel, ignition, turbo sizing, set up, and the other trickery. That's alot to explain in a post. You should get a few books, atleast "Maximum boost" if you are really interested in them as learning from internet experts can be risky as alot of people only have second hand info from what they heard from someone else. There's alot more to it than you think.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Clifton said:

Wastegates keep the turbo from OVERBOOSTING and destroying the engine. I've never heard of a "turbo boost miltiplier" though, is that like a hyper drive.

cheROCKee , You want someone to explain fuel, ignition, turbo sizing, set up, and the other trickery. That's alot to explain in a post. You should get a few books, atleast "Maximum boost" if you are really interested in them as learning from internet experts can be risky as alot of people only have second hand info from what they heard from someone else. There's alot more to it than you think.
yes, you're right.. i screwed that all up.. i'll go reword.. i need some sleep..

quoted from http://www.customefis.com/GMEFI.html :
TURBO BOOST MULTIPLIER – This term adds extra fuel during boost conditions on turbo charged engines. Discussion of this term is beyond the scope of this document. It is recommended that you purchase Tunercat's SYTY TDF file if you want more information on this term.

·
Registered
323 Posts
For a less technical book, but still a good one to have, Turbochargers by Hugh McGinnis.

Wastegate - Spring loaded valve to bypass exhaust gas to prevent engine overboost.

Fuel control is the same. You can use carbs, speed density, MAF, or alpha N to control fuel. Fuel control is much more critical since going lean has a tendency to melt parts down faster with boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts