1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CalRocks competition vehicle requirements state:

"Reactive suspensions approved, no forced articulation."

Questions:

1. OK, that means no airbags / no hydraulics at all, right? (Even if it's automatically actuated by computer control.)

2. What if you had airbags only connected side to side? (This concept has been mentioned in previous posts; one side pushes up and it forces the other side down. Legal?)

3. What about fully mechanical clockwork suspension that connectes the front and rear axles together?

4. Or are we to interpret this reg to mean that no tire's travel can be affected by any other tire's movement? Wouldn't this prohibit the use of the simple sway bar? (I don't know why you'd use a swaybay in a rockcrawling comp, but just for the sake of argument..)

-tom

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
This question has been answered by Rich time and time again. Here is the answer. He can't address everything that you guys think of in one rule book, so.........................................CALL HIM!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
desertoy said:
This question has been answered by Rich time and time again. Here is the answer. He can't address everything that you guys think of in one rule book, so.........................................CALL HIM!
Riiiiight.. Rich has nothing better to do with his time than to listen to me bounce wacky ideas off him.

I was hoping for a "search for this ..." (I don't even know where to start) so I could figure out if anybody has done these kind of things before, either successfully for not.

-t

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
*I* read it that any device that REACTS to the terrain on it's own to (no outside input) is allowed, as long ad the end result is NOT "forced articulation".

I agree - seems like a call to the rule makers is on order.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
When I was at Cal Rocs at Donner I saw one guy use forced articulation. I believe it was w/ the use of hydraulics. It was that one crazy ass steep clime only a few people made it over.

I don't know if it disqualified him but he made it all the way through the run. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts