Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1983 Ford Ranger farm truck, it might get 50 miles a year tooling around the Ranch.
This spring it started smoking like crazy and appeared to be burning coolant.
Here is a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3ZVGMxv-s

I found that the water pump bearings were toast and had leaked all of the coolant out without anyone noticing, so it got overheated at some point. All of the trips are 1-5 minutes in this thing, so not terribly hot.

I started troubleshooting it and found that the #1 cylinder is spotless like its being steam cleaned, where all other cylinders have a ton of carbon buildup in them, so I figured #1 is the culprit.
I started by pulling the intake manifold and didnt find any issues, pulled the head and didnt find any cracks in the block or issues with the head gasket.
It is using a ton of coolant, but no coolant in the oil, it seemed to be burning it all.

Any ideas where coolant is getting into the cylinder from? Like I said I cant find any obvious places.

·
Pavement Challenged
1,699 Posts
Cracked head.... btdt... a couple of times.

only once has it been a head gasket...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Cracked head for sure. I've had a few 2.3l and everytime I've done a head gasket the head ended up cracked as well.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still messing around with this truck as time permits.
I put a new head on it with no change, still smokes like a vape convention.
I am assuming it has to be the intake manifold as that is the only coolant to cylinder leak path left, Ive borescoped the intake runners and cant see any obvious cracks or leak paths.
I cant find an intake manifold for a carb'd 2.3, if anyone has a line on one let me know.

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
I am still messing around with this truck as time permits.
I put a new head on it with no change, still smokes like a vape convention.
I am assuming it has to be the intake manifold as that is the only coolant to cylinder leak path left, Ive borescoped the intake runners and cant see any obvious cracks or leak paths.
I cant find an intake manifold for a carb'd 2.3, if anyone has a line on one let me know.

Look up Bo port cylinder heads out of reno. 2.3 stuff is most of what he does

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 25 Posts