Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*flame suit on*

Posting here cause wasn't getting any response from Newbie jeep 4x4. Could be because it's just a dumb fawking idea but I guess I need you all to tell me this:flipoff2:

Thinking of throwing a ford 3.8l into my 89 yj. I got a smoking deal on it. it's an 01 motor with little miles on it. Is it even worth the time?

Expected drivetrain is d60's front and rear running 40's. everything else is up in the air at this point.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
The only downside I can see is the torque curve. The Ford 3.8 doesn't develop peak torque (~215 lbft) until somewhere around 3,000 RPM . . . A tad bit high for wheeling.

The upside is that (if it's a RWD Canadian Essex motor) it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the small block V8's

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rockcrusher said:
The only downside I can see is the torque curve. The Ford 3.8 doesn't develop peak torque (~215 lbft) until somewhere around 3,000 RPM . . . A tad bit high for wheeling.

The upside is that (if it's a RWD Canadian Essex motor) it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the small block V8's
Wow great info on the bell housing. Would a different cam help on the torque curve?

·
Registered
714 Posts
the ford 3.8l have been known to have head gasket issues...at least the old t-bird motors

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
bp95yj said:
the ford 3.8l have been known to have head gasket issues...at least the old t-bird motors
I've heard that but both 3.8 T-Birds I've owned never had a problem. '88 EFI and a '92 SC.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My buddies 94 3.8 stang blew a head gasket. Are their alot of cams available for this motor? Id say that you would be hard pressed to find one that puts the peak torque in the 1000-2000rpm or wheelin range considering the fact that these motors were never used in pickups and probably never intended to have the low end grunt a truck motor would have.

·
Registered
979 Posts
After about 96 the head gasket problems went bye-bye. Not a bad idea.. you know which Ford V-6 runs really well, the 4.0 in the new body style Mustangs. About feels like a V-8, honestly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts