Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for new years I got a blown head gasket woo hoo... Now it's in my wife's dd but I need to get this thing replaced. Looking at 1500+ to have someone do it :eek: The car (94 crown vic) was free and is worth fixing, cold a/c, works ok otherwise. If I can do it successfully I won't have to give up buying the welder I was getting as a late Christmas present. I have researched this and it sounds like I need a few expensive tools from Ford to do it. I'm looking for confirmation from someone who has done it if possible.

Engine replacement will run the same as having a shop do the job. No one wants to give up the 4.6's for less than 1200 around here and even then I'd probably blow the gasket in that one with my luck.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Well, I know it entails a few fairly special tools, mostly for the timing chain setup.

Check out some of the mustang sites, or even crownvic.net

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
the only special tools you need are fuel line qd's to remove the fuel lines, and get the intake out of your way, the heads are fully self contained(no pushrods) the timing gears you just zip tie the chains to the cam gears. they are a peice of cake to do. depending on the car, you can easily unbolt the harness connector, and remover the engine harness with the intake manifold. better off removing the fron ttiming cover as well. and replace the water pump.

·
Registered
133 Posts
you will have to remove the timing chain to remove the head so take some touch up paint and mark the chain and the gear so you know where they match up do this to the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket and put 2 marks on one of the gears and mathing chain link so you get the chain on exactly like it came off. Now put a vise grips on the com in a non critical area to keep the cam from rotating make sure it is resting against the valve cover surface so the cam won't rotate. You can now remove the head. Just align the marks when you go back together and you are good to go.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
you can mark them with a zip tie. you can almost do the whole job with a 1/4 ratchet, till you get to the timing cover bolts and head bolts.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys rock! I have been debating what to do and spent quite a bit of time researching this issue a few years ago on a t-bird. Ended up swapping the motor on that one 'cuz it had a window in the block. I didn't find anything useful on crownvic unfortunately. (although I am going to see about "improving" her car a little with their help)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts