21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Dyno Don had some aluminum ones
Nascar block is a thick iron block, Aussis got more then we did
It is hard to find a picture of one let alone and actual block
DART needs to build us one

there is an Aussie project building aluminum ones I think, no idea when they will hit market

·
Registered
10 Posts
400s are mongrels they are neither small blocks nor are they big blocks, they have small block heads, but they have wide slants like big blocks, a deck height of only 1" smaller than the 460 and the 351M/400s also share the big block bell housings. Clevelands have the small block bell housings. The timing on the camshaft from the stock timing sets are retarded at 6 degrees i believe...its right around 6 anyways but its defintetly retarded, which eats up HP like crazy.

Mean J

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
actually I recall the deck hieght of the small block 400 is equal to the 429/460 at 10.2"
the bore spacing is small block ford
the head bolt pattern is small block ford
the cranks can be swapped into other small block fords with some whittling
using your deck hieght argument the 302 deck is an inch less then a 350 chev, is the 302 a small block?
the bellhousing matched the vehicles the engine was designed to push around.
TRUCKS with 12" clutches

all that being stated it is a 335 ford engine family
small block/big block is chevy nomeclature that has no bearing on the good manufacturers

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The 400 was designed to replace the 429/460 in land yachts, that's why it has the 385 series bellhousing pattern. It was not designed as a truck engine, and neither was the 385 series(they also sport the MEL(430, 462, et al) bolt pattern, which is what they replaced) they were designed as land yacht engines. You know, those 20+ foot long 70's luxobarge Lincolns, T-Birds and such...
The 351M was an afterthought.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
masterbeavis said:
When I rebuilt my 400, here is what I did. I took the old motor out, put it in the backyard. Meanwhile, the sprinklers filled up vairous oriphices.. While all of this was going on, I bought a 460(use the truck motor, with a rear sump pan, with passenger car accesories), and the motor mounts/headers to make it all work. I also bought a Weiand Stealth manifold, a better cam, and had some minor opening up of the valve pockets. Needless to say, when it was all together, i had a motor that was twice the motor of the old one.. I got 10 MPG, and smokin the baloneys (36's) was no problem.
Yea, but didn't you grenade it (& another one IIRC) in the first few months? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

One thing I'll give my 2 400s & current 351M... they don't have much in the way of power, but damn they're reliable & cheap. I consistently have ran the current 351 without oil pressure over the past 4 years (of camber is a bitch) and carb CFM is my rev limiter, & it's just recently started making some very odd noises. I will admit there is a possibility of a 460 swap in the semi-near future, but that's just because one might fall into my lap for next to free.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts