Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
without positive ventilation you do get some rust where the oil doesn't splash, though
also gray goop anywhere that doesn't get hot
Never seen this issue, but maybe it's a climate thing. Only place I've ever gotten rust without a PCV is right at the top of the dipstick, because the fine oil mist couldn't reach that high. Normally it's a giant cloud of oil mist inside your engine block whenever it's operating at any higher speed.

PCV is the way to go though, from a pollution as well as a performance standpoint.

But in either one of those scenarios it would be burning the oil and putting up a smokescreen but OP says it isn't .

I'd have the valve covers off already looking around for what the problem is
Agreed. It can't just be magically losing that much oil without it turning to smoke or ending up on the ground. Worn out valve seals don't even lose that much and create huge clouds on startup normally.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,554 Posts
But in either one of those scenarios it would be burning the oil and putting up a smokescreen but OP says it isn't .

I'd have the valve covers off already looking around for what the problem is
The 350 spat liquid out the exhaust, not smoke. I learned about it when I coated the front of a coworkers car on the freeway. The Jeep smoked like hell.

IMO he needs to start poking around inside.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Yeah, no evidence of smoke but the guys that were with me on the last trip commented on oil droplets all over the fronts of their trucks after following me down the highway.
Also had a 350 Chevy that sprayed oil all over the 405. That was a ring and hone job that didn’t last.

The 350 spat liquid out the exhaust, not smoke. I learned about it when I coated the front of a coworkers car on the freeway. The Jeep smoked like hell.

IMO he needs to start poking around inside.
Pretty similar... ^

just to close the loop on this here are the leakdown test results
cyl 1: 30%
cyl 2: 30%
cyl 3: 25%
cyl 4: 38%
cyl 5: 37%
cyl 6: 34%
cyl 7: 30%
cyl 8: could not measure (engine cage tube)
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't those numbers FUBAR-terrible? I thought 5-10% was good?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't those numbers FUBAR-terrible? I thought 5-10% was good?
They're in the "green" section on my tester but in any case I don't believe the actual percentage number since the tester is just a harbor freight $40 job. I was just happy to see all the cylinders close to each other, relatively.

I plan to pull the motor for some front-end upgrades anyway. It would be easy to pull the heads while I have it out and put eyes on it I suppose.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Pretty similar... ^

percent means nothing
variance means something

the tester has one size oriface and one pressure for any engine you hook it to, bbf is pretty large, so it'll naturally have more leakage through the rings and all that than a 1.2L toyota motor.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
That makes sense. I guess you should have calibrated orifices for different displacements...
or just realize that just like a compression test it is a relative measurement
with the leakdown you can just put your ear to it to see where the leakage is going

21 - 29 of 29 Posts