Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been shopping around for a MAF 5.0 aftermarket harness... I bought the main harness from Ford Motorsports, and it didn't fit my injector harness, and looked like it needed way too much wiring work to make it work. So I was going to order the complete harness kit from www.fordfuelinjection.com (RJM Injection). Their harness looks great and appears to be simple, effective, and clean... however, I can't get ahold of them, nobody has returned my phone calls or my emails to answer a few questions...

poor customer service pisses me off to no end.

SOOOoooo, is there any other options besides RJM or Painless for a stand alone harness for my 91 5.0??? Any companys you would recommend that want my business bad enough to give me some decent fucking service?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
he makes good harness's from what I heard but he can be very slow at replying to people. I also beleive his harness's are sold else where.

but why not just get a j/y harness and make it all work? it't not that hard.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I've been working with a freind here in So Cal on an all new MAF/SFI harness. In fact, I just received the first prototype today. Its the first one he's built out of all new parts (new wires, new connectors, etc), although he's been refurbishing/modifying used 5.0 harnesses for years. The harness he sent me looks killer, with everything placed where I need it for the EB engine bay, all the unnecessary wires deleted, resistors in place to fool the computer on the smog shiat, cool relay bank and fuse holder, etc. I'm not sure when they'll be ready for retail but we'll be carrying them at WCB when they are. In the meantime, if you'd like him to re-work a used 5.0 harness for you, those also look and work great. PM me and I'll send his contact info.

Dusty

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
...So I was going to order the complete harness kit from www.fordfuelinjection.com (RJM Injection). Their harness looks great and appears to be simple, effective, and clean... however, I can't get ahold of them, nobody has returned my phone calls or my emails to answer a few questions...
After spending a couple weeks tearing apart the factory Mustang harness, stripping out unnecessary wires, then getting totally pizzed at how crappy the original design was:

I 'bit the bullet' and got the Universal Harness from RJM Injection Technologies:

The original Ford Racing harness was nothing more than a production 1993 Mustang GT harness. You needed the main, engine, O2, CANP harnesses to make everything work. And you still needed to cut the harness, add relays, etc. Since then FRP is marketing a new one piece harness:

The RJM universal harness comes with limited wrapping, so you can easily work it into whatever vehicle you are installing an EEC-IV system on. He does include way more harness wrap, wire ties, and plastic conduit than you'll ever need to 'pretty it up'. His harness is a simple hookup: One wire to the battery, One wire to hot/run, one wire to hot/start/run. Hook up the rest to the sensors and fuel pump...And you're running. His harness also allows you to run either the automatic or manual type computers by simply switching a single connector. No need to match the O2 sensor harness with the computer. The universal harness is de-smogged, there is no provisions for TAB/TAB/EGR/CANP. Everything has been 'tricked' to avoid getting codes. The RJM harness has all the relays and is fused making it a pure stand alone product.

Here's a pic of my 76 CJ5 with Ford Racing GT40 crate motor and the RJM Universal Harness:

Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to 'talk with Ryan'. I managed to get into a fast and furious email exchange with him one Saturday morning. But, forget trying to make contact with him. I ordered my harness on that very Saturday and it was delivered on Tuesday. I was leery at first, but I have no hesitation dealing with him. It 'appears' that he runs a one man operation, and probably has a regular 'day job'...

Since then, I've also order one of his 160 amp 3G alternators (get his connection harness when you order either the univeral or an alternator). I just ordered (on Sunday) the headlight harness along with the charging cable kit for the alternator. I got notification that delivery will be this Tuesday.

IMO, you be very pleased with the quality of the RJM harness.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Hack...

Yeah, when I was using the Ford harness, I had all the pieces.. but the problem was the main harness I bought new didn't fit the injector harness that I had, and then I looked into all the splicing, etc.. that needed to go into it and said fuck it...

My issues that I need resolved with the RJM harness are these...

I have a L1C MAF computer out of a 91 Tbird. This was the same computer out of the same car that I pulled the engine out of. This computer is not on the list of computers on their website that will work with their harness... will it work, or do I need a new computer?

Also, the harness says it needs the early TPS sensor... I have a later one. Can I just swap that sensor on my intake and everything will work out good?

Also, I am just a big customer service guy... and it always bothers me trying to do business with someone that I can't get ahold of, but if he makes a great product then maybe I can get over that...:p

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My issues that I need resolved with the RJM harness are these...

I have a L1C MAF computer out of a 91 Tbird. This was the same computer out of the same car that I pulled the engine out of. This computer is not on the list of computers on their website that will work with their harness... will it work, or do I need a new computer?

Also, the harness says it needs the early TPS sensor... I have a later one. Can I just swap that sensor on my intake and everything will work out good?

Also, I am just a big customer service guy... and it always bothers me trying to do business with someone that I can't get ahold of, but if he makes a great product then maybe I can get over that.
The L1C computer is on his list of EEC program codes. Shows its for a 91-93 MAF/Auto T-Bird. Should work fine.

If your TPS is from the 91 Bird, it'll work. The probems arise when you go into the 94 and later Throttle bodies. And it's just with the connector, IIRC.

Can't help ya out on the CS issue. Yeah, I would of liked to had a 'chat' with him. Especially before sending off $500+. The harness really is simple to install. However, if you need smog stuff.....You might have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
the newer throttle bodies will work with the old harness you just need to cut and splice.

new MAF sesors will work as well, but your getting into tuner land when you start using the newer stuff.

I have a 89 harness, A9P ECM, 90mm Lighting MAF from a 2001, a 70mm throttle body from a 99 crown vic which had a 4.6L engine running 30 lb injectors tuned by a tweecer.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I went with the ford racing harness back when they still had the main ecu and injector harness available. It was pretty much plug and play. There was some soldering to wire up the power feeds but it was no big deal and the engine started on the second try. Since then ford discontinued selling the injector harness but it was still possible to buy the main harness. Stupid ford.

Since the installation of the 5.0 I have had no issues with the motor relating to wiring problems. I soldered every connection (took me a week).

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
he makes good harness's from what I heard but he can be very slow at replying to people. I also beleive his harness's are sold else where.

but why not just get a j/y harness and make it all work? it't not that hard.
2nd'd.
Ryan makes a quality product, but you have have to wait 3-6 months it seems to hear from him, or get the product.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm not familar with the RJM harness, but from the other posts here as well as the photos, it looks like a quality product.

Take a chance and order the RJM, or buy a Painless harness.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
...Ryan makes a quality product, but you have have to wait 3-6 months it seems to hear from him, or get the product.
I didn't have any problem getting any of my items, although when I did have my fast and furious email exchange with him, he 'warned' me that during certain times of the year the orders back-up. And 1-3 month waits have occured. Again, I don't know him, but it appears that he's a one man operation.

BTW, got my RJM alternator charging wire kit, and headlight brightener harness that I ordered on Sunday off his website. UPS picked it up Monday and delivered it on Wednesday.

Again both are quality products. The headlight harness is 'plug and run' if you've working on a Ford.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
yes he is a one man operation. does great work. I had emailed him back and forth about a few items I was looking to buy. he had to update his website, he told me they were all in stock and I placed my order. it arrived within a weeks time. but it was mostly pigtails, harness tape and a few other shelf stocked items. I would buy from him again if the need arrised.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I never got a phone call or an email back from him after 2 weeks... So I hope his shit is as nice as you guys say it is, because I ordered the Bronco/Mustang harness this morning...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got an email this morning from UPS saying that it shipped, so that is a good thing! :D Apparently he is better at shipping products than he is a returning phone calls or emails. Can't wait for it to get here so I can check it out!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Post up when you get the harness and let us know that the quality is like.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had good luck with him too.....He helped me as I had a 95 block, and he helped a lot since I had to convert a bunch of stuff over....Very knowledgeable.....

You must have actually been able to get ahold of him... I wanted to ask a few questions before I bought this, but i could never get a return email or return phone call. :shaking:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts