Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know these engines have had some serious problems especially the 03-04s, but how are the older one 06-07. Im in the market for a new truck and has bad as this might soundand want a 06 6liter suderduty This is what I want to get, I love the look and interior (if I get it, itll be the King ranch) and it rides good to. Im scared about the engine though, since ealry 6.0liters are turds, but I wont modded it except for exhaust. So Im asking should stay far away or are the newer ones fairly reliable???

·
Registered
413 Posts
since ealry 6.0liters are turds
Try other sites and forums other than The Deisel Stop to get info on the 6.0 . It seems like every single person who has any issue with their 6.0 and has a computer, does a search and ends up at TDS. My 03 F250, 77,xxx, had a cracked Y pipe which was fixed under warantee. It also ran a little rough on start up below 30*F. But the latest computer flash eliminated that (also under warantee). Perfect? No, but satisfactory for me. A friend has an 04 Duramax and had all 8 injectors replaced (under warantee) and another one has a Cummins and had a new tranny put in at 50,000 miles (under extended warantee).

So, choose your poison. They are all big, heavy, and complex, with many moving parts and lots of electronic systems. But they all tow wonderfully!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
My buddy hasan '05 6.0.

It left us stranded once (~ 16kmiles) with a fuel pump issue.

It has also broke down (engine wise) at least four times. Fan clutch, water pump, and multiple intercooler hoses/clamps (lessthen 40k)when we were able to limp at 20-30 mph home

Did I mention it is stock?

It has also had the front ring and pinion replaced twice, the front hubs several times, it caught fire once, the rear window stopped sliding, the HVAC has flaked out repeatedly....

Mainly minor stuff but it gets frustrating when it takes a 12 hrs to drive 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
A close freind of mine is a die hard Ford guy. He has an 05 F350 dually that has an edge chip in it and 90% of its life it tows a 15K trailer. It has roughly 45K on it now and its in the shop for its second set of head gaskets. I think the rest of the rig is built fairly well but that engine...:shaking:

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I recently traded an '02 7.3 for a '05 F450 6.0. I love the Ford for all the reasons you gave, but I don't like this motor. My 7.3 was alot stronger than this 6.0, both with chips, exhaust and intakes. It has terrible turbo lag. The 6.0 has been puking alittle bit from the heads, so I just dropped it off to have studs put in. I plan to get a hotter program for it after the studs. So far, I haven't had any other problems, but I've only put 10k of its 83k on it. I love the torqshift trans though. The 10 mpg towing does suck.

If this was my first diesel, I'd probably have no complaints.

If I'm still not satisfied with it after new program and studs, I'm seriously considering dropping a CR cummins and 6spd in it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
When I bought mine, I specifically wanted a Superduty that wasn't a 6.0 due to all the problems. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that money on something that potentially could have major problems. Like was mentioned above, all 3 have had issues so you have to pick some sort of problem. :(

Like was mentioned above... The Diesel Stop. Read through and then decide.

Me personally, I went with the 2000 because it had the 7.3 and didn't have the powdered metal rods so I could upgrade the power as needed. Love my truck!

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I have an 06, 30K miles with no issue's. might want to ask SurveyBoy about what happened to his, I have no idea. BTW, mine tows 12 to 13.5K when it I use it.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
i've got an '05 with 56K on the ticker now.

issues i've had to date, heater core in the cab got a leak, got a crack in the EGR cooler which caused me to loose anitfreeze. and blew an o-ring out on the high pressure oil pump which drives the fuel system. that's the only one that caused me to get stranded.

overall, i love the truck and motor

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
or you could buy a used 7.3 like mine cause I didn't want a "6 leaker".

Instead I've had my ebpv leak a few gallons of oil. My hpop has sprung a leak twice (leaving me stranded once). Blew a water pump on the way to work. Stock turbo is about to blow up so I replaced only to blow up two aftermarket turbo's (manufactures fault). Rear pinion leaks everytime I put a load on the truck. Done the ball joints on the front axle. Had a caliper slide pin freeze and completely fry the brakes on that side. Roasted a torque converter. Oh and the worst carnage of all, my left front turn signal mounts broke and the damn thing is dangling untill it gets a bit higher on my priority list :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
. and blew an o-ring out on the high pressure oil pump which drives the fuel system. that's the only one that caused me to get stranded.

overall, i love the truck and motor
Thats the one that stranded us too.

When it runs, it tows great. Alto of turbo lag gettign going, but once you are at 2000 rpm the first time, its great.

5R110 is so much better then the 4R100. Runs cooler, shifts better, and heck at 40 000 miles, its had a longer life then the 4r100s in the previous rigs.

I keep going back and forth. My big block Chevy burns a lot more fuel (7-8 mpg loaded with a 12k trailer) as opposed to 8-9 mpg with the 15 k trailer on the 6.0, but knock on wood, in more miles towing, I have had no issues what so ever with the big block. Its amazing how quick you get somewhere even dropping a few mph on the passes compared to when you have to work on the tow rig.

·
Registered
505 Posts
High presure oil pump o-ring is the only real problem for mine 05 with 66,000 miles on it. It did need an idler pully due to some wierd noise it would make but it didnt cause any real problem. I think it is all in how you service it. They like clean oil to run the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
My 04 which was modded to teh moon was perfect until 100k, when it had the hpop pressure sensor fail, dealer fixed it under warrenty but did some damage to the wiring harness in the procees, truck broke 100k, wiring harness rubbed through shorted out the sensor and let the pump blow itself up from making to much pressure, dealer told me to get fawked... got it fixed and traded it for an 06

my 06 all stock with under 2k miles was having trans and engine overheating issues and would empty the coolant bottle on cue, empty. finally got smart and bought a CTD, dont care for the truck but teh reliability of the motor sure is nice!

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
My buddy has a 03 6.0 with about 50K on it, and he tows 4k-5k trailer on a regular basis. He has had a turbo, several EGR valves, and the transmission replaced. All of which "were common" problems he was told :shaking:.

I have a 02 CTD I tow 11K with on a regular basis with 60K on it. So far I've replaced

transmission valve body (pressure solenoid ?? )
lift pump
some wires in the steering column came loose

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
+24K and no problems whatsoever with the truck or the engine.

Two other people in my 4x4 Club bought '06 6.0's, both were DRW's (mine was the lone SRW); as far as I know, no one's had any problems except for one leaking fuel tank.

Other places for more info:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Gratuitous pic of my 6.0 halfway through a 7000 mile trip through the desert SW last summer:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts