Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody had one for any length of time? What are your opinions? I hadnt really thought about one untill I realized you can get a brand new crew cab 4x4 250 or 350 for sub 40k.

With 385hp and 430 torque I'll bet it does as good as my 2000 7.3 thats getting worn out

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work at a huge Ford dealer. The only thing I have seen with the 6.2L is a few broken valve springs. In both cases we replaced the spring and retainer and they were good to go. We have been seeing the same issue with the 5.4 and 6.8 also, so it is likely not the engine as much as who is supplying the springs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
i drive a f350 extra cab with the 6.2 and freakin love it the tranny makes is what makes it great. all the research i did basically turned up zero issues. i tow 5-10k trailers a couple time a week and my truck weighs 9k as i have it set up with tools. a couple times a year when i take the touys to the dunes its a 6hr drive and the last time i weighed truck and trailer i was at 24k. never drop below 70mph. and get the same milage i used to in a 7.3diesel if i where doing the same thing. at 55-60mph the diesel definately gets better milage.

i prefer the 6.2 over anything i have driven so far

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
My boss is on his second one. He used the first , a 2011 F-250 4x4 standard cab long bed to commute 33 miles each way, plus thousands of work miles for about 4 years, about 125k miles. The second one, a 2015 F-350 4x4 extended cab shortbed has about 15,000 miles (he retired from one job, works part time, much shorter commute). Absolutely no problems with either, the power and driveability is great, fuel mileage sucks. Hand calculated, the best tank full I calculated was 9.57 mpg, with very little load. He plowed snow a couple of times this month, got 7.5. I ordered it with the lowest gears available, off of the top of my head 3.73s, and the electric locker.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I hear 4.30's are the way to go over the 3.73's, but I've never driven one so that's second hand information.

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
2016 F250 17K miles, job to job lot of freeway avg 12.1 MPG, 6speed trans is nice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have 25k on my 6.2. This was my first time switching from diesel to gas. I really don't tow that often and gas made more sense to me. I love it. I commute in it daily, haul the dirt bikes around, and occasionally haul the jeep. Never had a single problem with it, and like others my research said it was a very dependable motor. Love the auto that is behind it. I have 3.73, if I were going to tow heavy I would probably get the 4.30's. gas mileage is what it is.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
watching this, I think this is the ticket for me when the v10 ex goes down the road someday. 4.30s, if it pulls as well as my v10, I'll be happy. I think the 6pd trans would be boss.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Love my 6.2, 60k with 3.73s, no troubles.
I don't tow heavy often, mostly 7-8k bumper pull and you rarely know it's there.
12k behind it I notice, but it pulls fine.

I mostly plow with my rig, one of the reasons I'd prefer the 4.30s, but it's not a deal breaker. With 930# of sand in the bed and 1k of plow hanging off the front, not only will it power through anything, it rides like a cadillac too :D

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Good to know - looking at a new Superduty and considering I tow my trailer less than 12 times a year I'm wondering if the diesel and maintenance is worth it. Tandem axle car trailer with my 1 ton EB and tools - 6.2 should be more than enough. More HP and slightly less TQ than my 6.0 Excursion without the worry...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Does anybody notice the throttle lag? I bet you could tune it out.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Biggest issue I've had with them. I drove a customer's for about a week trying to replicate an issue they were having (module communication BS that those trucks have regardless of powertrain). Off the line/tip in power it seemed weak compared to my old 460 truck because of the mushy throttle.

I work at a Ford dealer as well, and we hardly see them for anything but oil changes, done plugs on one in a Raptor (They have 16 plugs so a tune up costs an arm and a dick if you're paying someone to do it). One or two for broken valve springs.

Fuel economy is as bad or worse than the old big blocks but 6.7's eat fuel like a motherfucker too and it's not like you are looking at them to save on gas.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Biggest issue I've had with them. I drove a customer's for about a week trying to replicate an issue they were having (module communication BS that those trucks have regardless of powertrain). Off the line/tip in power it seemed weak compared to my old 460 truck because of the mushy throttle.

I work at a Ford dealer as well, and we hardly see them for anything but oil changes, done plugs on one in a Raptor (They have 16 plugs so a tune up costs an arm and a dick if you're paying someone to do it). One or two for broken valve springs.

Fuel economy is as bad or worse than the old big blocks but 6.7's eat fuel like a motherfucker too and it's not like you are looking at them to save on gas.
Yeah the "mushy throttle" is Fawking anoying! My wife's new Hyundai Genesis is bad too.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah the "mushy throttle" is Fawking anoying! My wife's new Hyundai Genesis is bad too.
Im currently driving a 2016 f550 with a 6.7 and it seems like if I play with it slamming the gas peddle to the floor a couple times the throttle response picks right up. But yes it has a mushy peddle also.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Drive by wire :shaking: I noticed it in my 05 5.4, SCT tuner took care of the lag, I would imagine its the same for the 6.2

Isn't there a guy on here with something about tuning 6.2 ford trucks in his sig?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
My buddy tows his 30' Weekend Warrior with one and loves it. Says he doesn't miss his 6.0 anymore. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
One thing to try with the laggy throttle is the gas pedal reset procedure. I have to do it every once in a while on my Ecoboost. Basically, you have to cycle the pedal slowly with just the key set to "on" a few times, turning the key to "off". I think it calls for 5 times, and push the pedal very slowly through its range, then let off quickly. The computer relearns after so long, but once I reset the pedal, the pedal response is much quicker. And this is with a tuned Ecoboost, I believe the computer just relearns after a while.

There are inline aftermarket parts that allow you dial in the pedal response, so you could look into those also.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
interesting stuff ive been idly shopping an upgrade to a 3/4 ton to tow my jeep half a dozen times a year and our 30' camper 10 or so weekends a year and was kinda tuning out gas stuff... but the age/miles on $30k diesel trucks has me shakin my damn head. plus MOST of my driving is a mile or 5 at a time so...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts