Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to swap an 8 3/4 dodge rear end for a ford 8.8. I’m concerned about pinion offset. I’m not sure if this measurement I received is correct but the mopar axle is 1.25 offset and the Ford 8.8 is 1.125?

Is this difference in pinion offset ok? Will I have driveline vibration issues

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,999 Posts
Yeah seriously. You’d be better off swapping in a Ford 9 inch. Same amount of work except the 9 inch is better than both and has options for multiple bolt patterns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price an 8.8 is the correct width with a limited slip, the correct gears and rear disc all for 200 bucks.. and an 8.8 is plenty strong and parts are ubiquitous

·
Registered
5 Posts
a 8.8 is a reasonably strong differential. the thing you have to remember is the weight difference between most cars with a 8.8. it is priced right. if your planning on doing any serious offroading maybe look to another diff. 5000-5500lb is a lot different than a 3100lb fox body. the weakest link in the 8.8 is usally the carrier.if your making a ton of torque and are heavy, maybe a spool? that measurement is correct. i have run 8.8 in mopars before

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is actually going in a 69 mopar B body so a little heavier but not truck heavier. Far as i can tell the swap should work decently well. I know it makes the mopar purists groan but those guys won’t sell me a b body 8 3/4 for less than a million bucks so 8.8

1 - 7 of 7 Posts