Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't want to get flamed by the xj guys for asking a ford question and didn't want to get flamed by the ford guys for asking a xj question, so I figured the general area was "safe".

Anyhow, I just swapped in a 98 disc brake 31 spline 8.8 into my xj, and I have allready blown two wheel bearings and bent a drivers side axle shaft, im thining that i might have a bad tube or would my emergency 20minute drive wwithout a wheel bearing totally bend the shit out of my shaft too? Im thinking about putting in the superior 8.8 kit, Does anyone have experience with this kit? Will it solve my problems or did i just have a fluke and im better off spending 30$ for a oem junkyard shaft?

chris

semper fi

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd throw a new set of bearings/seals on there and a junk yard axle shaft. If you blow bearings again, then its probably a tube.

I dont recall any Explorers with the 8.8 and 35"s or 36"s ever actually bending an axle shaft. And you're XJ is probably a lot lighter than a 4-door Explorer.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
Ummm, you drove a semi float axle without a wheel bearing for any amount of time?

And then your shaft is bent and you wonder why?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm, you drove a semi float axle without a wheel bearing for any amount of time?

And then your shaft is bent and you wonder why?
I was on the trail in a very poor situation... I had to do what I had to do.

I think i'll hit the junk yard in the AM. and fix er' up see what happens.

chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts