Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, attempting my ford 8.8 regear and locker install after completing my front without issue.

I am having difficulty interpreting this pattern and am not sure what to do.
ford 8.8 with 4.10 ring and pinion.
I am getting a diagonal pattern that I did not see at any point while installing my front axle components.

my r&p have angled tooth faces and the rear of the ring is machined, that would mean it is face milled correct?

my backlash is .008
pinion preload is about 28 inlbs
and this is the pattern I have now:

Where do I go from here?
getting quite discouraged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that were the case, if I were to take a pattern all the way around, it would then show a very inconsistent pattern correct?

wouldn't my backlash change a lot as well? checked in 4-5 places and it only changes .001 in any location tested

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take a longer test pattern and see what I find, i have three spots marked but i could have got lucky in my choices. That would be my luck.

If the pattern is consistent like this, what would your suggestion be?
do you figure it will run fine and wear properly?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would this more likely be caused by the pinion itself, or a warped housing? causing improper alignment?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I got when i took a longer pattern, the drive side is very subtle in any changes, but the coast is much more prominent in showing a difference.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Because its moving side to side on the tooth (indicating pinion changes) as opposed to moving top to bottom on the tooth (indicating ring gear changes). Again, its not impossible the housing isn't bent or tweaked. But I'm leaning towards the pinion. Are the splines on the pinion ok? If this is a trail only axle, it should be ok to run since the drive side is closer to spec. I wouldn't DD or tow with this though.....

SVT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I am intending to dd this for this winter and would like it to run reliably.

The pinion appeared fine and patterned well prior to setting carrier preload.

I also failed to mention, my pattern looked normal prior to setting carrier preload, now i understand that will allow the carrier to move slightly but it didnt have nearly the same appearance. would that indicate anything else?
it looked like this prior to preload:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are these gears new, or used? New or used bearings? Even though the pattern changes slightly, its not too extreme of a change or on the outside of the tooth. Do the break in procedure, and after about 500 light miles (no heavy loads or towing), pull the cover and inspect for any abnormal metal shavings. If none, should be good to go...

SVT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is new gears and new bearings, everything is new.

Its a junkyard for 8.8 that appeared to be in good shape when pulled.
I cut all original mounts off and welded up a MORE bracket kit for my jeep tj.

But nothing I have done should have had any effect on the carrier housing.

Its strange, I originally tried installing the original ring and pinion as they appeared to be in good shape but discovered that they had a runout issue.
I replaced that gearset with what I could find locally which was made by Quality Gear sold by The Gear Center locally.

I may see what GearCenter might do about this r&p but I wanted to see some opinions on whether or not this is actually a problem or if it is acceptable, this will only be the second regear I have done, and the dana 30 was no comparison and took no time at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bit of an update, It was suggested I try increasing pinion depth to see if it would change, and upon increasing depth another .005 this was the result:

http://i.imgur.com/KQu1Z6m.png

http://i.imgur.com/KQu1Z6m.png

definitely more contact surface, but running into the root.

backlash is .008 so right at the suggested minimum.

going by this, by dropping pinion depth very slightly I should be able to pull the pattern from the root and hopefully get a bit better of a pattern?

the pictures dont show it well but the coast side appears way more consistant than it did in the previous pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts