Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, one of my spring perches ripped off the tube on my rear 8.8. Just on one of the welds. The weld for the leaf perch held, but not the tube itself. So now I have a hole in my axle tube.

Was planning on cleaning it up, welding up the hole, and re-welding the perch back on. But I've heard from a couple of people that this isn't the first time they've heard of that happening on an 8.8.

Other then a truss, does anyone have any experience or pics with somehow reinforcing the spring perches to the tube? I was thinking maybe adding some triangular gussets perpendicular to the mounts (parallel with the tube).

For reference, this is on an 89 XJ, 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker, Ten Factory Alloy shafts. 35" Tires. The tubes are welded to the housing all the way around.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Seeme like there would have to be a lot of other factors to rip a perch off the tube.
I'd just weld a new perch on it and add new u bolts to it as well.

·
51 Posts
The tube on many 8.8s is .120" IIRC. That's obviously very thin. I've had a couple of buddies sleeve over the tube and weld to the sleeve.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
The tube on many 8.8s is .120" IIRC. That's obviously very thin. I've had a couple of buddies sleeve over the tube and weld to the sleeve.
Nope. They're 1/4" or 3/16".

.120" is like driveshaft tube. No way it would ever hold up under the weight of Explorers or F-150's etc. 3/16" is still pretty wussy, so I'd truss it anyways.

·
51 Posts
Sorry about the bad info. I went in and did some checking. The common Exploder 8.8" is usually an actual .188". You will find some thicker housings on heavier applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts