Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my trip to harlan to find out both of the carrier bearing caps on my ford 9" broke. About a month ago now I twisted a shaft at bundy hill offroad park and 1 carrier bearing cap broke. This time it was both but my shafts were fine. Is my housing flexing? I have a 3/16" backbone truss tied into the upper control arm mounts in my 4 link.
My rig is a 97 wrangler with a 450 hp 5.3L 4l60e, 3/4 link hp44/9" 106" wheelbase with 35" maxxis treps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different 3rd from a spare axle I picked up. Both stock from an f-150

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one that broke both bearing caps was also cracked around the pinion bearing

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Stock Cast 3rds are junk. Get a nodular iron one.
This by a lot.

I'm surprised you did that much damage with only 35's though...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nodular third will be on order soon but the ship date from summit isnt til april 20 and I have a local race the 22nd. I have another spare 3rd member I will use for now and I will add a truss on top of the axle to try and prevent any housing flex

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Stock Cast 3rds are junk. Get a nodular iron one.
Is that even up to the task of a semi built 5.3? I was talking with a guy the other day about soething high clearance for a 5.3 setup, and he laughed at the ford 9". Small carrier.....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Is that even up to the task of a semi built 5.3? I was talking with a guy the other day about soething high clearance for a 5.3 setup, and he laughed at the ford 9". Small carrier.....
Not really. That's why people dump $4000 into a 9 inch to make it worth a fuck.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Had the same failure last season as well. going yukon 3rd, 35 spline shafts, spool, etc..

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I have done it twice now....
This centersection was cracked around the pinion bearing too

As you're reading its very common for the pinion support to crack, I'd bet that is what happened to yours, then it wedged itself into the ring gear and sit the caps.

You just need an aftermarket case.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
The small carrier only seems to be an issue with the ARB. There are upgraded parts and complete upgraded lockers available, it's only money. I chose to just avoid the air locker for my front axle and went with a grizzly locker. I'm not worried about it one bit.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
The small carrier only seems to be an issue with the ARB. There are upgraded parts and complete upgraded lockers available, it's only money. I chose to just avoid the air locker for my front axle and went with a grizzly locker. I'm not worried about it one bit.
Why did you go 9" at all- clearance?
What did you choose for the rear?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Why did you go 9" at all- clearance?
What did you choose for the rear?
Weight, clearance, tighter packaging for uptravel. I'm using a hp 60 in the rear, which I found the limits of years ago. Mostly because i still have it and also because this vehicle should weigh 1000 lbs less, with 2/3 the hp and an altered driving style. I'm starting with the spicer "super" gears and will move to the currie 70 gears, if needed.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Nodular third will be on order soon but the ship date from summit isnt til april 20
You're doing something wrong. Nodular thirds are so common that there is no reason you shouldn't be able to have one on your doorstep next day if you want. There has got to be 100 manufacturers with thousands in stock at any given time.

That being said, if Summit is drop-shipping something they'll often over-shoot the estimated date by a lot.

I know for a fact that you could have one tomorrow from ECGS. But I also know you could from Summit also. Nothing wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts